my (new) '53 M43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my (new) '53 M43

due to be delivered in 2 weeks. This is my first foray into these vehicles and any sort of restoration. "Frank" (named after my wife's grandfather) runs very well, just needs new brakes and some skin cancer removal. All original. I hope to find and add a stock PTO unit since this will be working on the farm.
    Attached Files

more pics

from a few different angles
    Attached Files

Comment

Definitely looks to be in good shape!

Comment

I think I lucked out

Originally posted by Gsmith View Post
        Definitely looks to be in good shape!
        Most cancer is pretty minor, kudos to the guys that restore ones that have more rust than steel!

Comment

Congrats & Welcome

Nice find, Ask away?
          Again Welcome,

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
            Nice find, Ask away?
            Again Welcome,
            Bruce,
            thanks for the warm welcome. I'll have a much better idea of what it needs when it arrives (I only looked at it once before writing the check) so I'll start peppering the forum shortly thereafter. I've already asked a few questions about finding and installing a stock PTO unit (mine doesn't have one), removing the rear body for work, etc.
            At least it runs and I can drive it around in the woods w/o major work to get used to it. This forum seems to be the best and I am sure I'll be able to work through all the issues I'll come up against with people's help. I plan to post lots of pics too.

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by monkeymissile View Post
              Most cancer is pretty minor, kudos to the guys that restore ones that have more rust than steel!
              I'd say you were fortunate to find that one. I put so much work in my M37 I almost don't want it to even get wet.

Comment

fingers crossed

Originally posted by Gsmith View Post
                I'd say you were fortunate to find that one. I put so much work in my M37 I almost don't want it to even get wet.
                let's hope a closer inspection doesn't prove me wrong!

Comment

Hey Justin

looks to be a pretty nice truck. good luck with her. what part of n h. i work in nh steve from western maine

Comment

Bow Lake

Originally posted by splummer View Post
                    looks to be a pretty nice truck. good luck with her. what part of n h. i work in nh steve from western maine
                    Steve,
                    I'll be keeping "Frank" at my parent's house until I eventually move back there from Boston. While it'll be tempting to plow through some of the M*ssbags down here, the truck is really more suited to the farm.
                    I assume you have an M-something?

Comment

Justin

no m's but have lots of parts ,hope to get caught up on some projects before i get a m ,i have 2 flat fenders ,48 and a 55 and a 62 town wagon steve from western maine

Comment

my first

no m's but have lots of parts ,hope to get caught up on some projects before i get a m ,i have 2 flat fenders ,48 and a 55 and a 62 town wagon steve from western maine
                        this'll be my first vehicular project, I am VERY excited. Any chance you have a PTO?

Comment

where in ME?

Steve,
                          cool collection! Where in Maine are you? I went to school for a while in South Berwick, my brother lives in Monroe and my aunt lives in East Andover.

Comment

Hi Justin:

COOL TRUCK! What are your plans for it? Historical resto or just for fun? Careful of the purists as they can get quite testy about moddin it, but bottom line, it's yours to do with as ya wish. Personally, I prefer enclose vehicles as pick ups give ya extra friends around moving time.

Enjoy
                            Ugg

Comment

lots of plans-purists shield thine eyes!

Originally posted by Ugg013 View Post
                              Hi Justin:

COOL TRUCK! What are your plans for it? Historical resto or just for fun? Careful of the purists as they can get quite testy about moddin it, but bottom line, it's yours to do with as ya wish. Personally, I prefer enclose vehicles as pick ups give ya extra friends around moving time.

Enjoy
                              Ugg
                              Ugg,
                              First and foremost this will be a working truck to service my (hopefully) future 35 acre lot. I plan to build my own house too so will use it for the inevitable hauling of "stuff". Secondly it will be a bit of a toy. While I have a deep admiration for the design of these vehicles, I don't feel the need to remain historically accurate. Even so, any work I do will not involve any major modifications that couldn't be reversed. With that said, this is what I plan for it:
                              - find and install PTO (so I can run wood splitter, pump and plow)
                              - build a custom front bumper to house a decent electric winch (I think finding a split-bumper and a stock LU4 winch will prove to be too much trouble). Will Watson did a great job on his and I'm inspired
                              - add a 24v/12v converter to run a modest sound system (custom door panels to house speakers) and other stuff (air compressor)
                              - install an air horn (just to annoy people), just got 2 antiques on ebay
                              - add an linear LED light for the cab
                              - maybe add some additional driving lights
                              - add some manual backup lights
                              - maybe add stock directional unit
                              - I want to add ax/shovel holders to the inset panels next to driver/passenger side doors
                              - custom tool trays for use in the stretcher storage compartment
                              - manual locking front hubs
                              - new seats w/seatbelts (after once rolling a car, I'm a firm believer)
                              - removable rear bench seats for over wheel-wells
                              - locking door handles all around
                              - custom rear floor mats
                              - custom removeable 4x8 sheet material tray (for those many trips to the lumber yard)
                              - needs some new glass, door/window seals, brakes, wiper motors
                              - custom rear bumper
                              - custom running boards (maybe)

Eventually I will tear it all down to the frame and slowly rebuild it, blasting, welding and painting as I go. At that point I will seriously consider a new Cummins diesel engine so I can run biodiesel (that I plan to make), but I hate to switch to an automatic transmission. Anyway, the teardown won't take place until I get relocated and set up a shop space, at least 2 years from now. I have a decent temporary shelter in the works.

I think it'd look great painted white with black accents (frame, grills, wheels, bumpers, etc) and just keep the red crosses on the sides.

Any thoughts? I am open to ideas or suggestions.

Thanks for reading all this!

Justin

Comment

Working...
                              X