Flatnasty - A Little Offroading in the Ozarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatnasty - A Little Offroading in the Ozarks

Well, guys, I made it out again this weekend (2nd one in a row, and 3rd time this year!) and had a great time.

First was with the group at Don Scott's Vintage Truck Trail Ride on Friday at Potawatomi Offroad Park outside Fulton MO , and then Saturday and Sunday at Flatnasty near Salem, MO.

Mike Hernke with his wife and their M37, Jon & Jill, and several others were at Fulton, and we had a great day riding the trails on Friday.

Mike and I went down to Flatnasty on Saturday to catch up with Roger King. Roger had broke on Friday and was making a parts run when we got there. Mike and I ran several of the trails and had a great time, up until we got to "practice get it billy", and Mike wiped out another locking hub, and then his steering, so we called it an evening.

Mark Yocum came down and he and I ran the trails on Sunday (Roger broke again the night before). The video above is of me running up one of the extreme trails (#21), I went down it (the correct way) twice.

I have got to get a granny gear in the Tranny, and get the lockers installed!

Later,
    Will
    (did anyone count my typo's?)
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

That seems hard to believe that Roger would break something on his truck. Must be that rear wheel alignment that he seems to be working on. LOL I don't think many wheel as hard as Roger if any at all. Typos seem to at a minimum your good to go.

Comment

wheeling

Looks like fun.

In your video, it seems like the truck was stalling a lot. Was that fuel delivery or just stalling from going too slow for the engine? My V8 has a q-jet and I've found an auxillary electic fuel pump, switched from the dash helps out, but I don't know how that would work with your throttle body.

As to gears, what is your first gear now in the NP435D3? I had the same issue with my auto trans, but installed a second transfer case - actually the range box from an NP203, which effectively doubled my crawl ratio with 4:1 in the t-cases. In this way, I still have the driveability on the highway, but I can go really slow in the dirt.

You will like what a rear locker does for you off road - a whole new experience.

Comment

Keith,

It was a combination of not a low enough gear (non-granny NP435, 1st is 4.56) and the crappy Holley Pro-Jection TBI dumping in too much and not well misted fuel. The NP200 Transfercase is 1.98:1 low range.

I installed a fuel pump shut off switch, so that I could re-start the truck easier. If I leave the fuel pump on, the truck dumps LOTS of raw fuel in when starting warm, and she won't start. So I shut off the pump, start the truck, and when she starts (enough fuel left in the engine manifold from when it was running) I turn the pump back on. In the past when this happened, I've have to crawl under then hood, remove the air filter, pull the leads off the injectors, start the engine, let it run until the fuel was used up, re-connect the injectors and air filter, and then re-start.
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Working...
        X