48 B1 PW Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 B1 PW Restore

I have already completed this old workhorse, except for some minor details. But I would like to share some of the pics that I have from along the way. These first few are of the disassembly process. Although this truck is over 60 years old the only bolts that had to be cut were where the wood used to be in the bed otherwise all others were turned off.
    Attached Files

Progress

Everything was blasted frame, axles, rims and sheet metal then given a coat of paint. This all happened over about six months as I brought the peices to the blasters a little at a time. Great people there at Blastco. They normally do water towers and such along with industrial stuff at their shop. They have a website, if interested. All new Brake and fuel lines, wheel and master cylinders and go through all mechanicals. this truck probably was stopped being used because someone put the clutch disc in backwards. Motor was converted to propane carbeurator. Gas tank had an oil mixture in it-no damage/rust in tank. Cleaned it out and good to go. Here are a few pics of chassis.
    Attached Files

Comment

nj jim

forget the truck, I want the barn!!

Comment

Barn

I would love to own the barn to. It is part of my neighbors property. He has a few stock animals from time to time and years ago it was a dairy operation. Hope things are going well for you.

Comment

regional barn styles...

njjim & 74w300uteline... it is a great looking barn...

it's amazing that barn styles vary by region, as well as purpose.

Most of my travels have been Midwest and East and Southeast, and there are a great many styles. Penn-Dutch being the most ornate, but many serve multi purpose.

Ground level, Steep incline main entrance usually with a lower level stable, cantilevered equipment storage, huge vertical silos with candy cane striped domes, now replaced by squatting galvanized storage bins.

Back in 1976, BC (before children) my then wife and I traveled from MI to Wash DC for the bicentennial, camped in Harper's Ferry at a KOA, took the commuter train from HF to DC for 3 days to save $$$, plus a GREAT view of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Shenendoah River. Then onto WV,
          so my wife could see some old friends when she lived there, while her dad a construction superintendent, built a water treatment plant.

We were both impressed by the different styles, (based on our MI experience); red, white, painted, unpainted, lightning rods, cupolas, etc.,etc. We even saw some Mail Pouch painted ads, faded by time and government regs, even back then.

I may be a city boy by birth, but I love the smell of hay in a barn...

Comment

Progress II

I've got the chassis, fuel tank and rears cleaned painted and installed. The pickup box now goes together in place. After was body work completed and painted. Friends have advised me to convert to 12 volt, small block V8, later rears etc. and everyone here knows all the rest of the advice for changes. However, since this truck was in very good condition (except for the wiring harness) I have decided to keep it as built by Dodge. I like the purist method/look. I have been told that the lights would not be bright enough, but after cleaning sanding and having clean/continuous grounds the lights are as bright as any vehicle on the road today. Enjoy these few pics of the pickup box.
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks great njjim

Nice work njjim,

I am starting to work on my 56 fargo box again after taking the winter off with other commintments so to see somebody get ahead of me with a finished box totally inspires me.
              Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Progress III

The pickup box has been put together and the inside given a coat of bed liner coating. It came out great. Now the cab is being worked on while the motor is at the machine shop getting new valve seats, cylinders honed, and surfaces of head/block planned. I have found a NOS carbeurator for a Dodge truck at a swap meet. This will replace the propane carb that was on the truck when I purchased it. I think that I am going to put together my own wire harness with original braided wires from RIW instead of a whole harness. This will save some $. Once the cab is together I will get all the glass taken care of. Enjoy these few pics.
                Attached Files

Comment

Progress III

I have put the motor together and installed it, the trans and all the drive shafts, which had all been rebuilt. All the glass was put back into the cab with new channels and sweeps. The windshield regulator and side windows all work fine. I was having trouble with the fuel gauge. But, I located the trouble-the contact points on the gauge were burnt. They were cleaned and the gauge now works. Radiator, cowl, hood and splash pans installed. The motor turned over twice and fired up. What a sweet sound and a great feeling to have this machine back to life.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just beautiful, thank you for sharing.

Comment

Wow!

NJJIM,

That is one gorgeous truck! One day I hope to have one as nice!

Comment

I am looking for trucks to be featured as truck of the month for the magazine. You have a great story and lovely photos. Would you be willing to send me photos and information on your truck? Hi resolution images, please, not small ones sized for mailing.

I hope you say yes....
                        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Jersey Snow

Yes, I,ll send you an E-Mail. Here is a picture of the B1 after the last snowfall here in New Jersey. I did have the truck out for some exercise.
                          I just cannot go for more than two weeks without driving it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

That is a very nicely done truck. I'd rather have it over ANY new truck on the market today. Love the yellow too.

Bucky

Comment

Great job on a great truck Jim!
                              I have to agree with 712edf, I would also take that over any 2010 truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X