4bta for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4bta for sale

Iv'e been collecting parts for a ffpw project for a long time. In looking for a 4bt motor I bought 3 bread trucks. I drove them each home. I sold one right away as a running truck. I'd like to sell just the motor from another and keep the body for storage. The truck starts and drives (clutch slips).
    I’m selling this 4bta Cummins motor complete from intercooler through 4 spd borg/warner transmission. You can come see it run and drive it around to see there are no problems. I have the maintenance records for the truck but the only thing big done to the motor was $1,400.00 of cylinder head work done 52,000 miles ago. The mileage on the truck is 293,018. The truck itself is a 1995 Freightliner aluminum step van. The bread company retired it from its P.A. fleet due to a rusty frame.
    Jim in Ohio 44431
    Attached Files

What does the "A" stand for in "BTA"? I've been sorta looking around for the 4BT...I thought. Guess I should brush up on this stuff...

C.D.
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

4, # of cylinders, B, engine series, T, turbocharged, A, aftercooled

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
      What does the "A" stand for in "BTA"? I've been sorta looking around for the 4BT...I thought. Guess I should brush up on this stuff...

C.D.
      The "A" denotes that the engine is "aftercooled." Typically the aftercooled engines are higher horsepower than the BT engines. The one pictured has a frontal charge air cooler in front of the radiator. The intake air leaves the turbo, is routed through the aftercooler; then goes into the engine intake. The air temp is dropped approx 50* during this process. Cooler air has smaller molecules, thus more cool air can be packed into the intake as a result. More air allows for a richer fuel setting which = more engine power output.

Aftercoolers for these are available in 2 types. As I said the one mentioned is a charge air cooler, (air to air type). It is also available on a B series engine in a jacket water type. This unit is integrally mounted on the engine head, and is an air to coolant type. We used a bunch of the jacket water type when we did 4BTA installations; it saved the extra cost of a separately charge air cooler and the labor of installing it.

Comment

4bt"a"

The"a" is for the air to air aftercooler that is in front of the radiator. Jim

Comment

Technically its a 4btaa which is air to air cooled. A 4bta is water aftercooled

Comment

Thanks for the information. I plan to change the air /air over to an air / water after cooler for my project. I need to find one. The extra motor is still for sale. Jim

Comment

Better find "all" the water cooled stuff together as each piece from cummins is "very" expensive. Also pressure check the cooler as if it leaks its junk and unrepairable. I,am in the progree of converting a dodge 6bt right now for a m715 kaiser repower. I,am going from ataa to ata. Below is a list of all you need to do it. Fuel lines are special for ata engines and any others wont work !
              Bob

fuel lines with all mounting brackets
              aftercooler with inlet and outlet water lines
              correct tubo
              turbo pressure & return lines
              air crossover from turbo to intake man.
              exhaust manifold
              related gaskets

Comment

Wow! I had no idea there was that much to it. I'd better be looking for a parts motor or a trade.

Comment

Originally posted by bobyepsr View Post
                  Wow! I had no idea there was that much to it. I'd better be looking for a parts motor or a trade.
                  I'd suggest you do more research, the jacket water set up does fine in some applications, but depending on how the engine will be run, in some cases it won't do the job nearly as well as a frontal air to air set up. Intake air temps need to cool at least 50 degrees between exiting the turbo and going into the intake. If you plan to run it hard, certainly the air to air is the better way. You will also be able to run a richer fuel setting for more power with air to air. If you plan to run a relatively light / medium duty application, jacket water cooling is ok for lower HP ratings. Running Evans Coolant will also make some efficiency difference with the jacket water set up. The main issue is that with a jacket water set up; you are cooling air with water that is already heated to approx 180 degrees, so you can readily see where using a frontal air system is way more efficient because the charge air cooler gets the cold air at the front of the vehicle before it passes through the radiator and cools the intake air way more than trying to do it with 180 degree water. An all aluminum cooler core is far better also, transfers heat much faster.

There are several different jacket water set ups through Cummins for various applications and configurations. Some don't adapt well in truck applications. Honestly either set up requires a fair amount of $$$ and work to install if you have to source all the parts and build from scratch. If your engine originally had an air to air system in place, there is a high likelyhood that the fuel setting may be set up hotter than a jacket water system will tolerate and do an efficient job. It will be time well spent to get all the if's and and's figured out before you start to spend $$ on components that may not work in a sufficient manner when it's all said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by bobyepsr View Post
                    Paul Mierop over on Joe's forum has four power wagons with the water cooler set up (4BTA).

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                      Paul Mierop over on Joe's forum has four power wagons with the water cooler set up (4BTA).
                      He's converted at least one of them too, and can get you some of the part numbers, but it's definitely easier to buy one set up the way you need.

Mine is set up for air to air, and the more I look into it the more I think I'm going to try and fit one vice converting it. Either that or design a laminova or similar air-water with a seperate cooling loop. I'm still a ways from figuring that out though.

Comment

Desoto61,

Give Paul a call. He's really helpful about deciding what aftercooler to use as he's put them in a PW, M37 and Carryall. I don't know what your project is, but the air to air won't fit in the PW or Carryall and will fit in the M37. If you decide to switch to a JWAC let me know as I'm in need of a CAC.

John

Comment

4btaa cooler

Hi JGPierce,
                          I'm going to be building a ff so I'll need the air to water cooler like Paul uses. I have talked to Paul and know he'll be my go to guy about all this. At this point I'm gathering the bits and pieces and hope to start in June or July. I have two bread trucks that have the cac type coolers. I saw the clean design on the yellow 6x6 that Bob Jones built, but would rather it not show. Once I get the water type I'll have no need for the cac set up. If a deal on a complete motor comes along I'll need to sell the motors I have. Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X