Wanted broken 57 TW steering column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted broken 57 TW steering column

My TW has a good steering box and column but I am going to install a PS unit. This means the old column will have to be modified (cut short, supported, and bearing added) for this to work or replace the whole column with another short unit. I hate to cut up good stuff.
    So, I am looking for a column with a box that is shot. Hack off the top about 4' out, recycle the iron box, save money on shipping and sell it to me....or trade for my box when I get it replaced. My steering wheel is ugly also so... if yours is better lets talk.
    Gordon I think I saw a pile of boxes in a pix somewhere at your place for sale...?
    Thanks,
    DrPepper
    Last edited by DrPepper; 04-10-2012, 02:32 PM. Reason: improvement....

Are you looking for just the inside steering shaft or the column too? I happen to have a shaft with a steering wheel about what you are looking for I believe. The wheel is in sad shape around the horn button area but the shaft is good. I have an outer column somewhere. This came from a 57 COE I scrapped.

Comment

Broken steering box...

Hi Ron,
      I guess the shaft is all I need, the outer cover would be nice. I'm hedging my bets, as they say, right now I have steering. If I cut up the existing assembly to link up to a rag joint and intermediate shaft for the PS box and Murphy steps in I have nothing. If I have a used shaft and cover to cut up, I can keep my OEM steering assembly available until I'm sure the PS fits and works...then I'm covered. Kind of like "if you plan for the worst, it will never happen"..!

The alternative for me is column out of some other vehicle, and I'm not going their yet. I'd like the inside to appear "stock".

PM me with details and a price when you have time. I'm in the middle of installing the engine, but the wiring, steering and brakes are next.
      Thanks
      DrPepper

Comment

Working...
      X