Gearing Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearing Change

I know that i have ask this question before but i am still interested in changing the 4.88 gears in my 67 w200 power wagon to something like 3.54. I would like to find a source for the parts needed to make this swap, if this is not a practial gear swap i am willing to listen to any other advice. I am seeking help from those who have more knowledge in this field. Thank You Rick Walker.

I believe you will find that truck has Dana axles and that ring and pinion sets are available for it from drive train parts suppliers. Google axle parts or ring and pinion sets; you will find many suppliers for parts.

It should have a Dana 60 in the rear, and likely a Dana 44 in the front, though some W200's had other fronts. Others will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe there was a closed knuckle 60 in that era, but it is my understanding that some W200's had Dana 70's in the front.

You
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I believe you will find that truck has Dana axles and that ring and pinion sets are available for it from drive train parts suppliers. Google axle parts or ring and pinion sets; you will find many suppliers for parts.

It should have a Dana 60 in the rear, and likely a Dana 44 in the front, though some W200's had other fronts. Others will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe there was a closed knuckle 60 in that era, but it is my understanding that some W200's had Dana 70's in the front.

You will probably find that suppliers can sell you the ratio you want.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

The Dana 60 front didnt appear until 1975 in Dodges, all were open knuckle. As Gordon said, most likely 44 front, but I have seen 70 front with 60 rear.

Bucky

Comment

Rear axle ratio changes

Don't forget the Dana have a cut off point on which gears fit the carrier.

To go as low as 3.54, you will have to change the entire carrier. The ring gear will not bolt to 4.88 carrier. You can go one way or the other (can't remember which) with special gears, just don't buy standard gears and expect them to fit.

Dennis

Comment

Good point. The cut off is 4.10 but cant remember if 4.10 uses same as those lower, or those higher.

Bucky

Comment

3.54's and 4.10's on same carrier, 4.56 and up on another, I'm 99% sure!

Comment

Originally posted by dougdodgeman View Post
                4.56 and 5.87 only fit on the same unit for sure. Not certain about the 4.10 and 3.54 fitting on a common carrier, have not dealt with either of these ratios.

Comment

Originally posted by dougdodgeman View Post
                  Depends on the axle... D44 the split is 4.10 and up, ie 4.10, 4.56, 5.13, then its 3.73 and down on the other carrier, ie 3.73, 3.55, 3.27. Also when you get into the 2.xx ratios you are on another carrier yet.

For the Dana 60 the split is at 4.56, ie, 4.56, 4.88, 5.14 on same carrier, then 4.10 and down on the same carrier.

Dana 70 should be same as Dana 60 split... The GM 14 bolt is also split at 4.56.

Here is the kicker, most NEW gear vendors offer a "THICK" ring and pinion gear set. But since you are going to a taller ratio this won't help you much.

As for good prices, service and quick shipping I really only deal with one guy. His name is Wayne Hartwig. He primarily sells on Pirate4x4.com.

If you message him with what you are looking for, he can sell it to you and cheaply and get it to you quickly...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hlight=hartwig
                  1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Working...
                  X