big block flywheel for use with C-93961 bell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big block flywheel for use with C-93961 bell

Hi I am looking to buy a flywheel for a Big block 400. I got a bell-housing d600 truck not knowing that the flywheel would be so hard to find. I cant even find a a part number or size or even a tooth count. I am guessing this thing has got to be 14 or 15 inches. Any leads or info would help
    Thanks
    the new guy

Last Dec I bought a bell/flywheel/clutch & NP540 out of a 76 S600 schoolbus that had 361 big-block. The flywheel I believe has 158 teeth and yes is unique to 70's medium dutys.

Buses & D500's (dump trucks, grain trucks,etc) are your best bet.

Problem is, these never came with a 400, only 318,361 & 413's, so the flywheel will have to be balanced with the 400 crank.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
      Last Dec I bought a bell/flywheel/clutch & NP540 out of a 76 S600 schoolbus that had 361 big-block. The flywheel I believe has 158 teeth and yes is unique to 70's medium dutys.

Buses & D500's (dump trucks, grain trucks,etc) are your best bet.

Problem is, these never came with a 400, only 318,361 & 413's, so the flywheel will have to be balanced with the 400 crank.

Bucky
      Thanks for the info. I kinda figured I would need to have it balanced for the 400, but I was sill trying to get a size or part number of any big block flywheel for that bell, witch is out of a 72. The info would help if one comes up on eBay or a swap meet so I know what I am getting into. I did find a flywheel for a Poly 318 but did not think that it would work size wise .

Thanks again
      Brian

Comment

In addition to diameter, flywheel "center depth" is a thing to consider. Crankshaft flanges differ among various engines in regards to how far they protrude from the back of the block. There may only be 2-3 variations though. The center of the flywheel has to be proper depth to insure correct engagement of ring gear teeth with starter gear teeth.

Bucky

Comment

I will look at my flywheel within the next couple days & get you a part # & measurement. I have posted pics of it on the sweptline site. I will look for the thread & post a link here.

Bucky

Comment

http://www.sweptline.org/forums/view...ywheel#p204116

Here's a link to the thread about the flywheel that I have.

Bucky

Comment

http://www.sweptline.org/forums/view...ywheel#p204116

Here's a link to the thread about the flywheel that I have.

Bucky
              That's awesome, just what I was looking for. That thing is massive. Thanks for the info and the pics. Now when I go looking I know what to look for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dubrunner View Post
                I was sill trying to get a size or part number of any big block flywheel for that bell, witch is out of a 72.

Is the '72 D600 a Sweptline body truck? Does it have a
                hydraulic clutch set up in it?
                John

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
                  Is the '72 D600 a Sweptline body truck? Does it have a
                  hydraulic clutch set up in it?
                  John
                  No the donor truck was not a sweptline but the Big Dog 400,500 and 600 trucks were a hydraulic clutch set up until 74 I think. At least that's what I found on this forum when I did a search. Check out the link on this thread, that bell has a spot for both hydraulic and non. You don't have a spare flywheel laying around?

Comment

Dubrunner is correct as far as I can tell. 400 & up kept the Sweptline cab & hydraulic clutch through 73.

74-77 Med dutys had drivers side mech clutch, but the bell still mounted to a crossmember & had windows on both sides.

Bucky

Comment

Been 15-16 years since I did my w300 but you are on the right track.To get a six bolt flywheel you need one from a 318 powered medium duty.It's not just the tooth count and diameter but the flange thickness/offset/setback as well.I'm thinking about making my '64 W300 a 12v Cummins so the complete W300/440 setup may become available for sale or trade.Yes,Gordon you will have exclusive publishing rights if I do this.

Comment

By 1975 the 361 and possibly 413 had 6 bolt cranks. My flywheel came off a 361. Flywheels are not specific to big block or small block. And yes offset is important.

Bucky

Comment

By 1975 the 361 and possibly 413 had 6 bolt cranks. My flywheel came off a 361. Flywheels are not specific to big block or small block. And yes offset is important.

Bucky
                          But the fly wheel is specific to the bell right? Because of the placement of the starter tn the bell housing and is relative distance to the center of the crank shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Dubrunner View Post
                            But the fly wheel is specific to the bell right? Because of the placement of the starter tn the bell housing and is relative distance to the center of the crank shaft.
                            For the most part, YES. Most 6 bolt flywheels will bolt to any 6 bolt crankshaft flange, but bellhousing determines diameter/offset needed. Balance is also an issue.

The flywheel I have has the #3732638 stamped on the engine side of the ring gear. After the 8 is an "S" with a circle around it.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by The Other Ross View Post
                              Been 15-16 years since I did my w300 but you are on the right track.To get a six bolt flywheel you need one from a 318 powered medium duty.It's not just the tooth count and diameter but the flange thickness/offset/setback as well.I'm thinking about making my '64 W300 a 12v Cummins so the complete W300/440 setup may become available for sale or trade.Yes,Gordon you will have exclusive publishing rights if I do this.
                              Hello Just a few dumb questions is the 318LA bellhousing w300 different from the the 318 poly in the 64 W/D100. If how would the smaller flywheel work with my big block bell. But if it will work with my bell #c-93961w please let me know if would like to sell it or your set up thanks Brian/Dubrunner

Comment

Working...
                              X