Need a Bed for a Dodge 1958 W500 Power Giant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Bed for a Dodge 1958 W500 Power Giant

I need a bed, tailgate and fenders for a 1959 W500 Dodge Power Wagon.

I also saw notes somewhere here on what other beds from other models were the same as the bed for this truck but I can not for the life of me find it.

Does anyone know what other models and years had the same bed?

Also have a flatbed for sale / trade / give away once I find a stock bed for her.

Thanks

Leo

My guess is 58-60. W500's didn't come with "pick-up" beds, so one from a 100/200/300 would have to do.

57 & 61 were years of somewhat major cab/bed changes in the Dodge truck line.

I don't think any of the 100/200/300 series trucks had as long of a wheelbase as the shortest W500 (157"), if your's isn't modified.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
      My guess is 58-60. W500's didn't come with "pick-up" beds, so one from a 100/200/300 would have to do.

57 & 61 were years of somewhat major cab/bed changes in the Dodge truck line.

I don't think any of the 100/200/300 series trucks had as long of a wheelbase as the shortest W500 (157"), if your's isn't modified.

Bucky
      Thanks Bucky. I'll check my wheelbase tonight.

Comment

You'll need a 9 ft bed at the very least and probably have to shorten the frame/wheelbase to make it work. The problem is finding a good 9 ft bed. Very hard to come by and pricey if you do. I have an 8 ft Utiline (step side) bed complete for sale in Indiana if you want to shorten that much.

Comment

maybe your bed would work

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
          You'll need a 9 ft bed at the very least and probably have to shorten the frame/wheelbase to make it work. The problem is finding a good 9 ft bed. Very hard to come by and pricey if you do. I have an 8 ft Utiline (step side) bed complete for sale in Indiana if you want to shorten that much.
          Ron I have been thinking of extending a stock bed instead of bobbing the frame to fit the bed. How much would you want for your 8ft bed?

Has anyone seen anything like this. I keep trying to simulate it in photoshop but I am not that good at that program. I just want to see of it looks weird or not.

Comment

Leo I have an 8 foot bed for sale in good shape. From the front end it's 53" to center of the wheel opening and 44" to the rear. Thought this would help in sizing to your truck. I'll take $800 for this bed.

Comment

Pics of a W500 with Utiline

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8522/8...4a1b5b3a_b.jpg
              http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8263/8...a5645732_b.jpg
              Last edited by Leon in PA; 03-30-2013, 08:34 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

That look good!

Bucky

Comment

Let me check it out

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                  Leo I have an 8 foot bed for sale in good shape. From the front end it's 53" to center of the wheel opening and 44" to the rear. Thought this would help in sizing to your truck. I'll take $800 for this bed.
                  Ron, thanks for the info and price.

I am going to take a tape measure out there in the next few days and see what can be done and then I'll get back to you.

Leo

Comment

Yes I know this truck

This is Larry's truck. Great guy Larry. He and I are talking already.

However, Larry's truck is cut down to fit a 9 foot bed. I was thinking of extending the bed to fit the frame and not cutting down the frame. I just don't know of anyone that has done that.

Comment

Just an idea and perhaps you've thought of it too but could you make your own bed? You can buy a head board new from Mar-K Products as well as a rear valance panel. There are tailgates out there for sale and new repops too. A metal shop should be able to make the bedsides just weld a pipe in the top edge to get a factory style bed. Fenders can be found and you'll be in business. Mar-K will make custom length bed strips to order so you can end up keeping your frame and have a one of kind truck bed. Just throwing that out there.

Comment

Leon,
                        That is an interesting idea. I also wondered how that would work.
                        Would you try and find a 9 foot bed, and then splice in more metal so as to extend it forward and back to say 12 foot so you keep the original wheelbase?
                        That would be neat looking.
                        I am thinking about what I want to do with the W500 PG, of course a flatbed is the most easy thing, lots of them on craigslist can be had.

Originally posted by leop View Post
                        This is Larry's truck. Great guy Larry. He and I are talking already.

However, Larry's truck is cut down to fit a 9 foot bed. I was thinking of extending the bed to fit the frame and not cutting down the frame. I just don't know of anyone that has done that.

Comment

Splicing Beds

You could actually get 2 6 foot beds, since they are more plentiful, and splice however you needed to.
                          Hank, who occasionally posts on Joe's site is working on a making 4 door W500. He is looking to stretch the header and tailgate to accommodate the wider frame.
                          Personally I think W500's make cool dump trucks.
                          Leon

Comment

Why does the post say "Moved"?

Moved to where?

Leo

Comment

Originally posted by leop View Post

Moved to where?

Leo
                              It says moved because I moved it. It was in the Power Giant forum, and I moved it to the parts for sale and wanted forum.

Look up above and you can see the name of the forum.
                              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
                              X