WTB W300 6 Bolt brake drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB W300 6 Bolt brake drums

I'm new to this site and am not a PW expert by any means but I'm looking for parts for my Aunt's 1963 Dodge Powerwagon, VIN 6362919250 , I need front and rear 6 bolt drums , frt are 14 1/8 x 1 3/4 and the rear are 13 x 2 1/2 inch ..

Any help would be greatly appreciated as she is looking to get it back on the road prior to my uncle passing, and it is being willed to my cousin,

Thanks so much

Brad 905-650-9168

Send me a for sale or wanted ad for Power Wagon Advertiser magazine, up to 100 words free. It must include an area code and phone number, since a lot of readers are not on the web. You would be surprise at how many readers are not on the internet — they buy and sell, too!

Email your ad using the contact us link below.

For more information, go here:

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/placead.html

Also try here:

http://vintagepowerwagons.com/
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

If you cannot find the correct Dodge drums you might look into using M715 brakes, the axles are almost identical (i.e. they are both a six lug Dana 70). I know for a fact that the 6 lug M715 hubs fit perfectly well on the Dodge axles, but require different bearings, seals, and wheel studs. Though I have not done it, there is a good chance that the M715 brake assembly would bolt on to the Dodge axle. However it is unlikely that the Dodge and M715 parts would mix, so it would likely require the complete hub, drum, backing plate, hardware, etc. The benefit of doing this would be parts availability... there are warehouses full of n.o.s. M715 parts. There are zero n.o.s. W300 parts, anywhere.

I'll admit that most people who would go to that much trouble would go ahead and do the disc brake conversion... I did. It is not all that difficult or costly.

If you do manage to get a good set of used drums please remember to never have them cut, ever. As I'm sure you are finding out, at this point in time they are almost impossible to replace. It will not be long before the "almost" is entirely removed from the equation.

Comment

Yes, it requires from the backing plate out.

As per Dana, the M715 front axle assembly axle has Dana 70 wheel end parts. The axle shafts use Spicer joints.

Comment

Dodge also used the Dana 70 front on certain 74-77 W600's. They too were 6 lug, but I think had the larger 8.75" Rockwell pattern. Brakes were 14" x 2.25", original wheels were 20" dia.

Good luck on your search. I knew of a guy who had several old W trucks, including a W300, but I think he has sold most of them.

Bucky

Comment

disk brakes

do you have pics of your disk brake conversion? was it from Ray?

Originally posted by Aaron S View Post
            If you cannot find the correct Dodge drums you might look into using M715 brakes, the axles are almost identical (i.e. they are both a six lug Dana 70). I know for a fact that the 6 lug M715 hubs fit perfectly well on the Dodge axles, but require different bearings, seals, and wheel studs. Though I have not done it, there is a good chance that the M715 brake assembly would bolt on to the Dodge axle. However it is unlikely that the Dodge and M715 parts would mix, so it would likely require the complete hub, drum, backing plate, hardware, etc. The benefit of doing this would be parts availability... there are warehouses full of n.o.s. M715 parts. There are zero n.o.s. W300 parts, anywhere.

I'll admit that most people who would go to that much trouble would go ahead and do the disc brake conversion... I did. It is not all that difficult or costly.

If you do manage to get a good set of used drums please remember to never have them cut, ever. As I'm sure you are finding out, at this point in time they are almost impossible to replace. It will not be long before the "almost" is entirely removed from the equation.

Comment

Note of Appreciation

I do not have drums as of yet but would like to thank all the individuals who have provided me information and input to assist me in locating and solving my Aunts/Uncle's W300 brake drum issues.
              Thought I might bring this to light I received a envelope from my Aunt including all the PW info she had and in it found a copy of Power Wagon Advertiser , circa April 1993 ..............So my uncle was a subscriber years ago and I know he loved loved loved his W300.

Just want to provide a blanket "THANK YOU" from not only myself but my family for all you've done

Respectfully

Brad Forsyth

Comment

Originally posted by Bradf View Post
                I do not have drums as of yet but would like to thank all the individuals who have provided me information and input to assist me in locating and solving my Aunts/Uncle's W300 brake drum issues.
                Thought I might bring this to light I received a envelope from my Aunt including all the PW info she had and in it found a copy of Power Wagon Advertiser , circa April 1993 ..............So my uncle was a subscriber years ago and I know he loved loved loved his W300.

Just want to provide a blanket "THANK YOU" from not only myself but my family for all you've done

Respectfully

Brad Forsyth
                Brad,
                Are you familiar with Route 33 [Genesee St.] heading out of Buffalo east
                of Transit Road? I know that there was a '68 W300 tow truck that sat at
                a small private dealership for many years. It was in pretty rough shape and
                wouldn't qualify for much more than a parts donor. If you're ever in that area
                you might try to locate it. The truck was put behind a fence at this lot which
                is on the right side heading east on 33. It'll be before you get to the TOPS
                Distribution Center. Might be worth a drive.... you never know.....
                John

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
                  Brad,
                  Are you familiar with Route 33 [Genesee St.] heading out of Buffalo east
                  of Transit Road? I know that there was a '68 W300 tow truck that sat at
                  a small private dealership for many years. It was in pretty rough shape and
                  wouldn't qualify for much more than a parts donor. If you're ever in that area
                  you might try to locate it. The truck was put behind a fence at this lot which
                  is on the right side heading east on 33. It'll be before you get to the TOPS
                  Distribution Center. Might be worth a drive.... you never know.....
                  John
                  Was 68 still 6 lug I know my 69 w300 is 8 lug

Comment

I believe yes, 68 was 6-lug.

Comment

Tow truck lead

John thanks so much I am familiar with the area and a little road trip might be in the cards and a added bonus some Buffalo wings and a beer. I understand 68 drums are a match so might just be the ticket

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Bradf View Post
                        John thanks so much I am familiar with the area and a little road trip might be in the cards and a added bonus some Buffalo wings and a beer. I understand 68 drums are a match so might just be the ticket

Brad
                        Brad,
                        This dealership is at the corner of Rt 33 and a side road [not sure of the name...].
                        The last time I saw this truck, it was moved behind the fence of this lot and possibly
                        to the house that is behind the dealership's garage. If it is still at this location and
                        is actually on the property of the house behind the dealership, you MIGHT try asking
                        for Doug Wix. His father used to own the dealership years ago..... I haven't been by
                        this dealership for some time now and cannot verify if the truck is still there.... I tink
                        this was a dually, but the front axle should be the same as your Uncle's W300.
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                          I believe yes, 68 was 6-lug.
                          '69 was the first year for the 8 lug axles.
                          John

Comment

Was '69 also the first year for the push button door handle? ....or was that '68?

Comment

push button

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                              Was '69 also the first year for the push button door handle? ....or was that '68?
                              67 was first year for push button although occasionaly you see a fridge handle 67s

Comment

Working...
                              X