Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W500 parts needed

I need the following for my 1963 W500 USAF bus restoration:
    1. Winch- complete with frame extensions if possible. I ASSUME the correct winch would be a MU-2 but I am happy to learn otherwise.
    2. Power take-off and shafts for same. I believe the PTO on a W500 comes from the transmission unlike my W300. The tranny is a NP420.
    3. Hood insignia "POWER WAGON" is missing from both sides.

I can be reached quickly at george.m.purtill@snet.net
    Last edited by Connecticut Yank; 02-17-2014, 05:42 PM. Reason: added year of mfg

Did your truck originally come with a winch? I believe trucks that did had a special crossmember with a hole in it for the PTO shaft to pass through. My W500 does.

But I have seen trucks with winches and the shaft was directed below the crossmember.

Bucky

Comment

Bucky my Texas Ranger
      It did not come with a winch but I can already smell the usefulness of one on the Cape Cod National Seashore.
      I also thing the winch will counter balance the bus' big butt bulbous look.
      I do not know the answer to your question about cross members but we are due for a break in weather and I will push away the snow and climb under.
      You are welcome to attend in case you are snow deprived.
      Am I right on the winch model?

Comment

The Braden MU-2 was the one offered on WM300 trucks. It may also have been on W500's. But I have seen them with Ramsey, King, & Tulsa also. When talking about rear winches, add Garwood to the mix. I can't say which of them were factory, or maybe dealer/owner installed.

My W500 had the PTO shaft on the driver's side, for what's its worth.

The P O W E R W A G O N insignia may not have been specific (size wise) to the W500.

Bucky

Comment

Since your truck has the NP420 transmission, which was used by the other Power Wagons of that era, you shouldn't have as much trouble finding the PTO unit.

Bucky

Comment

Yank,
            My 1960 W500 power giant was originally a U.S. Navy truck. IT has the NP420 transmission, pto and MU-2 Braden winch. It is sitting in my barn.
            I am not working on it yet, but when I start the restoration, it will be more of a "resto-mod" as I probably going to repower it with a 6BT Cummins, or at the least, with a different gas power plant and overdrive transmission I am thinking presently.
            At that point I may sell the tranny and pro.
            Bucky is right in that the PTO's for the NP420 are more readily availalble; I think VPW has them and they come up on ebay, etc.
            Also, check with them or ebay for the frame extensions. The frame on my W500 comes out at a divergent angle where the winch and bumper sit.
            The PTO is attached the tranny. The driveshaft comes forward to the MU-2.
            On my truck this shaft is square in dimension, at each end is the appropriate yoke.
            The Power Wagon emblems you need are the "later type" like you see on the '61 and up civilian military style flat fender power wagons and conventional cab power wagons. There were two styles; the older truck style was more rounded looking.
            You can buy these emblems used, I found them on ebay. However there are people who reproduce them which might be easier to use. The price of a repro is about the same as you sending off some that were corroded and pitted to the chrome plating company.
            One thing that would help you with this is to buy the shop manual for that year truck. You also can find these on ebay, or look at Eric Bannerman's website, http://stores.ebay.com/Erics-Classic...=p4634.c0.m322

Comment

Yank,
              Today a guy on Joe's site has posted up 3 separate W500's for sale, all in AZ.
              One has your winch, another the hood emblems. Of course I think you have to buy the whole truck haha.

www.dodgepowerwagon.com

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                Yank,
                Today a guy on Joe's site has posted up 3 separate W500's for sale, all in AZ.

Bucky
                Bucky- I saw those trucks when they were first posted and I would buy them all except for the fact that I live in CT!!
                Everything good in the BIG BOYZ class (W500-600) lives in your neck of the world.

Comment

Yes distance is the main dealbreaker on the big 'uns.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                  X