Wanted - Power Steering assist unit for W500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted - Power Steering assist unit for W500

I looking for one of these for my W500 project. Please contact me if you have one for sale that is intact and at least rebuildable.
    dglang(nospam)4d@gmail.com

Dave Langford

1960 correct?

Bucky

Comment

Yes a 1960 W500

Comment

That may prove to be a challenge. Isn't the box located AHEAD of the axle, same as on the Lifestyle era trucks? IF so and you're not dead set on a period correct assist set-up, a 74-77 medium duty P/S gearbox would bolt up with some modification.

Bucky

Comment

I have a custom PS setup with both a power steering box and hydro assist ram in progress. I couldn't find anything out the box that would work.

Comment

• Doc Dave
            Doc Dave commented
            Editing a comment
            Could you share some details on what you have done, maybe an image?
            I am thinking a custom deal may be the way to go; there are places that will fab the drag link. I’m looking for the ram with brackets. I’ve found a high volume pump off a similar size Dodge.

Hi Dave, sorry this is so late. Progress was slower than I would have liked.

I finally got mine finished on my 58 W500.

The truck now has 46" tall, 20" wide tires (Baja Claw) on the double internal beadlock wheels. As you can see in the video, it's one finger to turn lock to lock while stationary on concrete.

The steering box started life as a basic Saginaw, but it is built by AGR Performance for Ultra4 - King of the hammers trucks. The pump is a matched, high flow P-pump, and the pressure circuit of the steering box is tapped for the hydro assist cylinder (this one came from PSC).

As you know, the stock steering column is a single solid rod in a tube from the steering wheel to the manual box, so that was replaced with double-D stock and universal joints to get the steering wheel a little higher in the cab. I managed to retain the original steering wheel as well.

All the brackets and are custom fabricated by my good friend Steve, including the pump bracket (apparently no-one makes one for a p-pump on a 318 poly). Even the pitman arm is custom made from an off the shelf splined donut and a spare drag link I had.
          I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, it's such a breeze to drive now (except for the ride quality and lack of synchro on 2nd :)

As you can see there is some fine tuning and rough edges to tidy up (for example the external gusset on the pitman arm isn't perfectly rounded), but that will wait a while.
          I believe yours is the near perfect orange truck right? you might want something a little more refined than I have then......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ujTxjmC5Ns

I don't have enough posts to upload the images, let me have your email address and I'll send them to you.

Comment

Thanks so much for the PS info and the video; I’d love to see more pictures.

For now I’m content with the stock system, as I find it works better than the steering on my flatfender. However, I am not getting any younger,
            and you have really pioneered this thing for the Power Giant. I may “need” P.S. at some point to make it enjoyable so would like to get the info and photos from you in my documents.

Do the taller tires help a lot with your top end speed? My truck is “screaming” at 45-50. It would be nice to have 55-60 on occasion, for example if I wanted to drive to a show in the next state instead of trailering it.

As to the tranny, I am used to the non synchro crash box of the ‘52, so this is a major luxury, even with 2nd not being synchro!

my email is:
            dglang4d@gmail.com

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave, I'll send through the pictures shortly.

The taller tires do help with top speed a little, but not enough. My max is now around 53mph, but the limit is the power; it has a few more rpms to go, but doesn't have the power to get there. My engine is fairly tired, and I'll be addressing that over the next year (mine is a long term project).

Comment

Thanks,
                I saw a 1960 W500 fire truck a few years back wearing 12.5 X 20, vs 9x20. I Did not talk to the “guy” there, but I would think that would be a big help, at the expense of needing to start off in first more.
                As I see it that tire is 7” larger in overall diameter...need to find the chart/formula...

Comment

Working...
                X