WTB ffpw in CT-will ship if not local

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB ffpw in CT-will ship if not local

Looking for rust free, running condition FFPW- no time for major bodywork and sheetmetal replacement project (and wife is looking over my shoulder on price if you know what I mean).

Hoping to stay under $6000. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Contact Ben:

203 979 1604

or email benjamingrunow@gmail.com

Most of the rust free truck around here (New England) came from somewhere else....I would suggest checking Craigslist listings in western states like Colorado, Idaho, Arizona, Washington etc......you can still find bargains if you look hard enough......Good luck. Kevin

Comment

Email me an ad for the magazine, please, including area code and phone number. Use the contact us link below.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Ad was emailed to Gordon and search is on- really trying to educate myself as much as possible about the specifics of these trucks before getting into one with more issues than I am prepared for. Long time gear head but mostly chevy trucks- saw a PW and remembered that I have always wanted one and so I am in the hunt.

Thanks for the help!

Great forum BTW. Will try to contribute as time goes on.

Comment

Power Wagons In CT

Where in CT are you from? I'm in Northern CT. There is a guy in Danbury that has many PWs and he is selling them. His name is Jim and he can be reached at 914-490-2192. He told me that he had 50+ Power Wagons. His buildings are in Redding, CT. He had one on Ebay about three weeks ago that was rust free and sold it for $4500. I looked at several, but most of them needed body work and weren't in running condition. He had other trucks in the $15-20K range that were in decent shape and running. It might be worth it for you to take a look at what he has.

Comment

Originally posted by 61wm300 View Post
            Where in CT are you from? I'm in Northern CT. There is a guy in Danbury that has many PWs and he is selling them. His name is Jim and he can be reached at 914-490-2192. He told me that he had 50+ Power Wagons. His buildings are in Redding, CT. He had one on Ebay about three weeks ago that was rust free and sold it for $4500. I looked at several, but most of them needed body work and weren't in running condition. He had other trucks in the $15-20K range that were in decent shape and running. It might be worth it for you to take a look at what he has.
            That phone number took me here.

Comment

I am in SW CT but will certainly give him a call and see what he has... Were the trucks he had overpriced in your opinion or just nice enough to be worth 15-20?

This forum is great.

Comment

I was an automotive instructor for 14 years and watched, figuratively, a lot of kids buy cars. They had the fever. They made mistakes in impetuous moments.

Adult men get the fever about these old trucks and make big mistakes paying too much. The most vulnerable people with respect to paying too much are those who are new to the hobby, have no grasp of values [in what is admittedly a very difficult market in which to learn/predict values], and have a wanting that is bigger the the whole outdoors.

The advice I gave to kids I give to you and any other newcomer. You need to take your time. You need to look at as many trucks as you can. Compare as many trucks as you can. Price is only one dynamic; trucks can be different from one another in a great many ways. This one costs more money and has a leaky and quite noisy transfer case, but has much nicer sheet metal. That one runs and drives great but has six places with rust through the panels.

Does the truck have a pickup box? Is the box beat up badly? Has someone sat on the cab top, damaged it, and crudely pushed it back up? Is the frame rusting through?

This market is small. People want to buy low and sell high. Only one player can be on the good end of that in any given transaction. The market is small enough that it is hard to get accurate information to learn how to guess what something is worth. Today's economic climate adds a new slant on it.

I purposely do not advise people on values. I learned not to years ago. How? I was relentlessly approached by buyers and sellers. How much should I ask? How much should I pay?

The sellers were mad if the truck sold too soon; they said I told them a number too small. The sellers were mad if it did not sell; they said the number I suggested was too high.

The buyers were mad when, later, they learned over time they paid too much. The buyers were mad when they missed what they later viewed as the perfect truck because I told them a number too small.

I never told anyone a number. I generalized, offered trends, all that, but they in most cases seized upon some number they said I told them. No more numbers from me.

You need to see trucks, and you need to know, when possible, what they sold for. In most cases, neither buyer nor seller wants anyone else to know. The only place you may consistently find that information is Ebay. I am not an Ebay person, but apparently you can go there and learn the successful selling price of items. You can also look at asking prices in ads. Keep in mind, you still have not seen, touched, heard, operated most of those trucks. If lucky you will have a photo, which can be wildly deceiving.

Take your time. Take your time. Take your time. If you can, look at 20 trucks before you buy. If not, look at ten trucks before you buy. The seller will tell you not to listen to me and the fever will edge you ever closer to delirium.

Did I mention, take your time? You are in the best possible spot you can be in just now — you still have your money.

Comment

Are his prices fair?

He knows the value of PWs. I looked for 3 years at many trucks before it bought one. I 100% percent agree with Gordon. Be patient and do your homework. My experience is plan on spending at least $12K for a solid, good running truck. For example, if you buy one for $6K, plan on putting another $6K into it to make it a respectable driver.

Comment

Gordons approach is exactly what I am striving to achieve but as he says, temptation comes along.....

I appreciate the help! Will keep you updated if anything happens.

Comment

I too had been looking for a ffpw seen some pretty good trucks not real close to me kept looking then pretty much figured I would not find the truck I was looking for near me. Gordon did run an wanted ad in the paper he publishes and I pretty much did not think that would produce anything, well couple months went by and out of the blue a 84 year old man about 75 miles from me called and said he had a 1954 ffpw that his sister and brother in law had bought new and was used on an ranch in California he brought it back to Ill. and was always garaged and now he wanted to sell. I went over to look at it and this truck was 100% rust rot free, his hired hand fired it up and then I went outside and called him 2 minutes later I was the new owner. Take Gordon's advice and be very patient looking for the truck you want, it worked out for me. Fleabag!!

Comment

i'm out of the loop what does fleabag mean?

Comment

It is a nickname I picked up at the factory where I used to work, long story. Duane.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane Aldridge View Post
                            It is a nickname I picked up at the factory where I used to work, long story. Duane.
                            He was worried it had something to do with your dog....

Comment

Took your advice everyone. Ended up with a 57 dodge D300 (now that Ron has confirmed what it actually is for me) instead of a ffpw. Just decided after a while that I wanted an old dodge more than I wanted a ffpw specifically.

Great for the business, kids, soul etc... Tons of fun. Thanks for the advice and help.

Comment

Working...
                              X