Rebuilt M37 engine for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilt M37 engine for sale

I have a newly rebuilt 230 engine for an M37 that a customer wants to sell. Engine was rebuilt by us and has only been run on the test stand since the build. He has decided to convert to a Cummins Diesel and no longer needs the 230. I'll have to go back through invoices to see what he has invested. If you have interest, you can contact me via the contact us link at the website shown below.

Charles, email me an ad for the magazine. In the print media, I need an area code and phone number for readers not on the web.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      Charles, email me an ad for the magazine. In the print media, I need an area code and phone number for readers not on the web.
      Hi Gordon, already thought of doing that, but need to go back and find what my customer has invested in the build so I can include a price. Was hoping to have that already done, but have not gotten around to it yet. I'll send you an email as soon as I can go back and get the info together Thanks, Charles

Comment

We can run the ad with no price. I am assembling to go to print in the morning. I can make it work, but you have to get it to me.

The price could be shared at the time of inquiry. You do that above. I know it's better to have one. Just trying to get you some exposure in this small window of opportunity.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I need a 230 engine

For a m56c
          John
          703 624 4722

Comment

Originally posted by jguedel View Post
            For a m56c
            John
            703 624 4722
            I am currently talking with a gentleman about the engine we have listed above, but for now it is still available. If you have serious interest, I'd suggest you get in touch promptly. I'm happy to share any detail with you. We built it in house, so any explanation you require is readily at hand. The owner has $6,500 invested as it sits, and would like to get that out of it. It is a top notch build, with some extra goodies. Has a power steering pump installed, a 24-volt alternator, electronic ignition installed, and is set up for an electric fuel pump. Will let it go as is, or we can put all the original accessories in place if you need that set up. It has been run-in on our test stand, all final adjustments have been done, it's ready to install and go.

Comment

What does diesel repower cost?

Charles,

Thank you for the quick reply. I have put engines in several vehicles recently, to include Mercedes, Lexus and Toyota. I have never spent that much on an engine. What would a used diesel drivetrain cost?

I have priced the parts for my engine at around 1200. Not sure what labor and machine shop cost will be yet.

I do need an engine but 6500 is money I will never get back.

John

Comment

Compare and learn

Charles,

Thank you for the quick reply. I have put engines in several vehicles recently, to include Mercedes, Lexus and Toyota. I have never spent that much on an engine. What would a used diesel drivetrain cost?

I have priced the parts for my engine at around 1200. Not sure what labor and machine shop cost will be yet.

I do need an engine but 6500 is money I will never get back.

John
                Well it's like this, can't say I like today's cost either, simply because more profit went into the account when I could offer a first class build at under $4,000. It is the world we live in, and I'll venture to say that if you build your engine to the same standards this one is built too, I imagine you will receive some education concerning what it cost to do anything right these days. Sure you can cut corners in an effort to do something as cheap as you can; you will also learn this when you do that; the statement that "you get what you pay for" has never been more true than it is today. I'd suggest you hold that thought in the back of your mind as you research this; and by all means ask specific questions up front so you know without a doubt what you will be getting for your $$$ spent.

Maybe you are not aware of what has been done here, this engine is 100% balanced, rods on gram scales, and the rotating assembly is balanced also. All NEW internals, .030" over bore, rods and mains .010" under, all new valve components with new high nickel seats, (compatible with unleaded fuel) both intake and exhaust. Seats also got a 3 angle grind. Everything that has a surface has been resurfaced to perfection. Intake and exhaust manifolds are ceramic coated, burn off or rust will never be an issue. A coolant filtering system has been added, all our rebuilds get that without question. Every component on the engine is either new or rebuilt in house by us. It has a new clutch and pressure plate installed along with new pilot bushing and release bearing. 6 new spark plugs, new set of mil spec plug cables, and electronic ignition installed in the distributor. Every accessory component is 100% rebuilt, includes distributor, carb, starter, oil pump, water pump is new, drive belt is new. It has been run-in on our test stand; all final adjustments have been made to specs. Our standards are likely as strict as you will find avaialble anywhere, they all go out as if they were going in my truck; I wouldn't want anything less than the best it can be, I don't figure others want less than the best either. It has a power steering pump, and Delco alternator installed and wired, (no regulator required) and is set up for an electric fuel pump, with starting and shut down safety switch already in place and wired. I can remove the steering pump if you don't need, can also build and install a mechanical fuel pump and generator if you desire.

I expect you will find when you start pricing all this engine has incorporated into it; the $6,500 price tag is very reasonable. We have done many with a higher price tag, depends on exactly what it takes to bring them back to the best they can be, each 1 is different.

You asked what a used diesel drive train would cost. The only way I can really answer that without going to great lengths is like this. If you think $6,500 is more than an excellent rebuild is worth, there is no need to even have the discussion concerning what a reliable new or used diesel repower will cost.

Comment

Thank you for the reply

And full explanation of what has been done to that engine. From the work I have seen on your website, it's clear you do excellent work. I am sure the engine is done top notch. The issue is, if I put that kind of money into this truck, can I get it back?

This is a 1958 m56c with the maintenance box with the generator, compressor, welder in the back. Just under 21k miles, been sitting for 35 plus years. The cab needs a complete refurbish, but the horn does work!

To start, I am just looking to get it moving under its own power with good brakes.

How about a good running used engine? Do you have one of those?

John

Comment

And full explanation of what has been done to that engine. From the work I have seen on your website, it's clear you do excellent work. I am sure the engine is done top notch. The issue is, if I put that kind of money into this truck, can I get it back?

This is a 1958 m56c with the maintenance box with the generator, compressor, welder in the back. Just under 21k miles, been sitting for 35 plus years. The cab needs a complete refurbish, but the horn does work!

To start, I am just looking to get it moving under its own power with good brakes.

How about a good running used engine? Do you have one of those?

John
                    OK, I can answer that for you right up front; no you will not likely recoupe your investment, even if the horn does work, UNLESS you go first class from front to rear and top to bottom, document very well, then seek top of the heap buyer's who are looking for this specific truck. We have done that, so yes chances are very good that you can stay out of red ink if you approach it that way.

Just building a truck as cheaply as possible to get it running and stopping under its own power; every dollar you spend may be one you can't get back. Consider this; I have folks call regularly asking what this and that cost. When I tell them today's prices, some can't believe it, and respond with "oh my", I didn't pay that much for the truck. I just tell them that because they bought the truck for $500 twenty years ago doesn't mean they can repair anything it needs today for less than the $500 they invested, most times that ends the call. It is called REALITY if you get my drift. I wish I could do things like I used too, but we know that simply can't happen and stay in business.

No top end buyer who can and will offer top dollar is looking for a truck that has sit for 35 years with a cheaply rebuilt engine installed. That also is reality. The buyer that truck will attract is someone who is looking for a contact maintenance truck that is a project vehicle. They will be looking to purchase at a cheap price with the intent of spending big bucks to either build it themselves or to have someone build a nice project truck. One thing you have going for you is the fact it is a contact truck, decent ones are not plentiful these days, and there is a certain sect of people who search for them. Depending on whether all the original equipment to that truck is still there, complete, and what the buyer's end use for the truck would be could matter a lot, so check that out, but most likely you could put as much or maybe more cash in your pocket to offer it as is if your desire is just to move it. You can put big cash in the black column, but you will have to spend big cash and time building a first class truck prior to expectations of reaping a sale of that magnitude.

I could sell good running take-out engines every week if I had them. Most of what we pull out don't fall in the good running category if they run at all. Some are not even good cores for rebuilding. So no I can't help you there at this time. We do get one now and again that checks out good, but they are coming less often all the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X