Up Coming Power Wagon Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up Coming Power Wagon Rally

So here is my dilemma, I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go to the Iowa Rally this year. I've never been before and I just bough my first Power Wagon a few months ago. My truck isn't road worthy so I will not be taking it with me. I'm most interested in the swap meet, I'm in need of a lot of parts. Is there usually a pretty good turn out of vendors? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Skyler,

With or without the truck you will have fun. The truck doesn't have to be road worthy to be at the rally. Some still make trails, others stay at the fairgrounds, while their owners catch a ride in another truck.

It's worth the trip, and if you let folks know ahead of time what you are looking for, it helps them decide what parts to load up and bring.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Don't even think about not going!

Skyler. GO! I've gone the last three years without a truck. You will have a great time and meet great people. Being there with 100 Power wagons that range from ruff and tumble survivors to the awesome one of a kind better than any factory would have built crew cab is fantastic. I've brought home treasures from the swap meet... head lights, cowl lights, running boards. tailgates, winch extensions and on and on. That being said "One mans trash is another mans treasure" and I see treasure in a reparable fender or tailgate. You will also be awestruck by visiting Vintage Power Wagons. I spend hours looking through there inventory. Don't cheat yourself by not going. Have an idea of what you need to find while your there. It's pretty easy to think that something is a great deal when all you have to go on is ebay .( I might not have needed two fixable tailgates or a few other treasures I've brought home.
      Before going to Fairfield my idea was to build a restomodifyed truck. Now my project is a survivor farm truck that I'll be comfortable making earn it's keep. I hope it's ready to bring this year. Either way I'll be there.
      Oh yea, the restomod truck isn't forgotten, I just moved it to next in line. I fear there is no cure! Jim

Comment

Skyler- I would highly recommend going. I went to the 25th, and it was invaluable to me. Was able to meet a lot of really great people, and learn more about our trucks than I thought was possible. It's a rare opportunity to see that many trucks in one place. You will find the whole spectrum of vehicles from barely running to fully restored.
        Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
        2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Thanks for the advise guys. I may only be able to come up for one day, what day would you recommend?

Comment

With one day to choose, I would say Friday would be ideal. IF that's not possible, maybe Thursday or Saturday.
            Sunday is a travel day for many people.
            I have been to 3 rallies; twice without a truck, the last time with. Great time.

Comment

Yep, Friday, or 2nd best is Thursday.
              I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
              1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
              1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
              1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
              2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Have a great time everyone! Someday I will drive my 1950 power wagon the 3600km round trip to the rally

Comment

I'll ride shotgun, we can take your rig or mine. Sounds like a great adventure for some Sask boys! Maybe we can swing it this year. My wife would hate the trip. Hmmmm....possibilities....

Comment

It is about 1600 km (1000 miles) one way for me down here. So I take a day and a half.
                    Everyone's different, but I decided to trailer because of the distance involved. If I drove it in the PW it would be a minimum of two long days, perhaps a bit more as I could not drive on the Interstate due to speed issues. It's been awhile since I have been up in Canada but the major divided highways are similar as to requiring a certain minimum speed?

Comment

Originally posted by bilfman View Post
                      I'll ride shotgun, we can take your rig or mine. Sounds like a great adventure for some Sask boys! Maybe we can swing it this year. My wife would hate the trip. Hmmmm....possibilities....
                      I wish I could, still a ways from my truck being able to make the trip.

Yes the major highways have minimum speeds, mine will cruise at 80mph though

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                        It is about 1600 km (1000 miles) one way for me down here. So I take a day and a half.
                        Everyone's different, but I decided to trailer because of the distance involved. If I drove it in the PW it would be a minimum of two long days, perhaps a bit more as I could not drive on the Interstate due to speed issues. It's been awhile since I have been up in Canada but the major divided highways are similar as to requiring a certain minimum speed?
                        Ron Smith used to drive down from Alberta in his WDX, brought a different grand child every year. He had a 2 speed rear axle, but still...

CD
                        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                        1954 Ford 860 tractor
                        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Working...
                        X