Family vacations, kids & dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family vacations, kids & dogs

Which town is the rally held in?? I like all the pictures I have seen on Gordon's thread. If I can afford the trip in my gas guzzling 77 PW crew cab I would like to check it out.

Sounds like a good family VACATION. I haven't taken one of those for years.(actually travel somewhere I mean).

Thanks, Mike

Mike, the rally is held in Fairfield at the county fairgrounds which is at the west end of town on the main drag.

If you've never been to this rally you owe it to yourself to go to this one. I just wish we could go to Packwood for supper again.

Which side of Indy are located? I'm just east of New Haven, IN.

Comment

Ron I'm on the south side of Indpls. Southport area if you know where that is?

My wife just got home and I was talking to her about it.She said as long we have the funds. Is it ok to bring children??? I have a 6 and 4 year old boys. They will almost be 7 and 5 then.

I use to ride motorcycles,and alot of events I went to weren't good things for kids to see or be at??(for an example)Like Daytona bike week. That was a time before wife was in the pic. I've sat back and watched this web site and it seems really family like. Thanks for the info.

Comment

The one thing that is for certain about the rally it is a family affair. It's like a family reunion, even if you've never been there in person.

By all means take the boys, they'll get a kick out of it I'm sure. There are other kids there as well, I would take something along for them to do if things get a little slow. Throw their bikes in the truck along with a tent to camp out. It'll save money on lodging and what better way to build memories. They have a nice shower house at the fairgrounds so you can stay close to the action such as it is.

From my place to Fairfield it's around 8-9 hours drive, taking I -0 accross to give you an idea; your time may vary as you wouldn't come that far north. Just miles and miles of miles and miles, well that and corn and beans.

Start saving and get the boys started too. See you in Iowa.
        Last edited by Ron in Indiana; 12-05-2006, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Kids yes

Plumber, I'm new to this hobby and have only attended two rallies, VT and W. Va.

From what I've seen I would say kids... yes... at both rallies I felt welcome. The kids with me, Andrew 5, and Molly 10, had a great time. The raffles were a highlight, have you ever seen a kid beaming with joy, winning lugnuts or maple syrup, everyone clapping and cheering?

Get your kids some disposable cameras, the pictures they take and thier point of view are hysterical when you get them developed.

I don't remember any foul language or shenanagens and felt at ease with the kids roaming around.

PS. Make sure Ron's on ice cream duty.
          Last edited by 74w300uteline; 12-05-2006, 06:42 PM. Reason: forgot ben and jerrys ice cream

Comment

If you plan to fly into Des Moines (DSM) and need transportation to Fairfied let me know. I will be heading to the Rally from the Des Moines area.

Comment

People bring dogs, too....
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

"PS. Make sure Ron's on ice cream duty."

You liked that huh? We thought it was pretty cool to score Ben and Jerry's for the Vermont rally after driving all the way from Indiana. I don't think I can get Ben and Jerry's for the Iowa rally but if a few people would bring some freezers I'm sure we could make some on Saturday after the parade. Say that sounds like a plan since it's always hot on Saturday afternoon what better way to cool off than with homemade ice cream?

Comment

Ron Passing by?

Ron, what route would be taking?? I looked it up on yahoo maps and it told me to take 74 across basically. If my family goes. I was wondering if a convoy might take an effect? That if you cross through 74?

I told my boys about it and showed them the old pic from the past events and they want to go. So I got to buckle down on the cash, after X-mas of course. (just bought them 70cc 4 wheelers for them. Kinda hit the wallet hard this year.)

Heck, I'm pretty much a newbie here. So far I have had some silly questions for this group and they took the time to answer them. I would like to put faces with names.

From watching the forum it seems like most of my questions were answer by the older and wiser folk. I'm not calling you people geezers or anything like that. (just young children trapped in an older body)hehe. Well that's what I keep telling tell my dad at least. He's 73 now and I'm 32, kinda an oop's kid for him.

Oh anyhow, I think it would be fun and a good for my boys to see part of history. It would probally be good for them to see other parts of our country. This weekend I'm going to ask my neighbor if I can borrow or rent his pop-up since he never uses it. Or I could ask Santa for an tent. hehe.

Thanks Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber View Post
                    Ron, what route would be taking?? I looked it up on yahoo maps and it told me to take 74 across basically. If my family goes. I was wondering if a convoy might take an effect? That if you cross through 74?

I told my boys about it and showed them the old pic from the past events and they want to go. So I got to buckle down on the cash, after X-mas of course. (just bought them 70cc 4 wheelers for them. Kinda hit the wallet hard this year.)

Heck, I'm pretty much a newbie here. So far I have had some silly questions for this group and they took the time to answer them. I would like to put faces with names.

From watching the forum it seems like most of my questions were answer by the older and wiser folk. I'm not calling you people geezers or anything like that. (just young children trapped in an older body)hehe. Well that's what I keep telling tell my dad at least. He's 73 now and I'm 32, kinda an oop's kid for him.

Oh anyhow, I think it would be fun and a good for my boys to see part of history. It would probally be good for them to see other parts of our country. This weekend I'm going to ask my neighbor if I can borrow or rent his pop-up since he never uses it. Or I could ask Santa for an tent. hehe.

Thanks Mike
                    There is a lot of enthusiasm here for answering questions, so don't ever hesitate.

As for geezers..... the first time Paul Cook met me at the rally, he told me he thought I was a much older man, from having read the magazine.

I wonder if he will say that next time. Actually, I am older than I was then.

If we get 200 trucks, we should have 500 faces. There is going to be a big line in front of the Dairy Queen.

Comment

Mike, I take US 30 to I 80 across ILL and the only place our paths would meet up is Galesburg unless I drove south to Indy first. I can be at 69 and 465 in 2 hours from my place but I'm used to my regular route to Iowa. That's not saying you can't hook up with someone else. Mark P is in Evansville and I believe he goes 74 . On the way is Will Watson in Mt.Zion, Ill, who you could run with. He has a sweet M37 he's been working on, doing a 318 swap.

The quest for knowledge is never silly although if you don't watch the "geezer" stuff you might get a silly answer LOL. Most everyone I've met through being part of the Dodge "family" have been great and I count many as good friends.

You will find that once you attend a rally you too will become a closer member of the family. If not for being involved I wouldn't have friends all over the country and some around the world for that matter. The main thing is to be staight up with the people you meet and enjoy the company. I asked for help when I got started and have tried to return that help as much as I can.

Your boys will have a great time right along with you. Your wife may want to go too, as several wives do come to the rally. One year some of the wives made a quilt during the rally which was given away at the closing banguet.

If it's not possible for you to take your truck you can always ride with someone else. I've had a couple from California and other states ride with me and they had a blast, all you have to do is ask. Hey we're family.

Of course one of the things you must do is talk to Gordon sometime during the rally at his table. I've always found him to be open for a chat on our favorite subject, Dodge trucks.

If you find yourself heading up around Ft wayne or New Haven give me a shout and we'll get together. Always happy to have Show and Tell with you "young" pups. LOL.

Ron

Comment

Mike -

Jon and I live in the Peoria area. We plan on going to Fairfield again this year. Jon usually leaves the Sunday before it starts and I leave Wednesday morning. If you come thru the Peoria area around then we can drive together.

It is a whole whopping 3 hours from Peoria. We just get on 74 and then 39. 39 takes you into Fairfield.

Jill

PS I'm only 29, so I'm a young pup as well!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                          .... Your wife may want to go too, as several wives do come to the rally. One year some of the wives made a quilt during the rally which was given away at the closing banguet....
                          Ron
                          Yeah...I can just see MoparTina quilting...she didn't even want to ride with Sam in the seat...

MN

Comment

Riding?

My kids got 70cc 4 wheelers for Christmas. I was wondering if there is a place over there that they could ride them?? If not I'll just have to leave them here. We're getting excited about making this trip. I already request that whole week off of work. (well Tuesday until next Monday I took off.) Well if everything goes a plan I'll see you there!
                            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber View Post
                              My kids got 70cc 4 wheelers for Christmas. I was wondering if there is a place over there that they could ride them?? If not I'll just have to leave them here. We're getting excited about making this trip. I already request that whole week off of work. (well Tuesday until next Monday I took off.) Well if everything goes a plan I'll see you there!
                              Mike
                              I believe they could be ridden on the fairgrounds, and likely on some of the trail ride ground, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X