Dyno Runs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyno Runs?

Don't know anything about them and never been on one.

Is there one in, or near Fairfield (hah) or a portable unit (is that even possible?) that could be used?

Would be interesting to see what hp/torque ratings are on these old trucks and compare various upgrades (headers, cam, aftermarket carbs, tire size, etc, etc). Plus the guys that have hot-rodded theirs may want to see what the dyno #s are.

Just an idea for the 20th Ralley, not even sure if its feasable or desirable?
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

I don't guess there is one nearby in that part of the state. It is not a heavily populated area. It would be interesting, however.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thats kind of what I figured. Like I said, I've never been on one, but assume that since they are a big, expensive piece that they would be where the action is. Not to say that Fairfield isn't a happening place - but it is kinda smallish and in an un-redisovered corner of America.

It would be interesting to see what the flat head and slant sixs do with the few aftermarket mods that folks have done. The guys that have dropped in V8s and Cummins may have already gotten the performance numbers on theirs though.
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

An alternative to the dyno?

I don't know where a dyno may be found near Fairfield, but there may be an alternative. This area of the country is big into antique tractors and steam engines. The oldest/largest gathering of antique tractor and steam engine enthusiasts happens 25 miles down the road from Fairfield every Labor Day weekend in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. They typically have on site, Baker Fans and Prony Brakes. I assume these to be locally owned as I see them every year. Not exactly sure how they work, but I do know they use them to test horsepower and governor operation on tractors and steam powered engines. There is one catch however. The equipment being tested must have a tail shaft and pulley drive, as the testing equipment is run off of a flat belt and nets results through the PTO.

Another alternative is the University of Nebraska in Lincoln a few hundred miles to the west. They have been testing tractors for years both stationary off the belt and also off the drawbar. Now if they could be persuaded to take an interest.....

See link on the T137 Registry site:

http://www.t137.com/registry/display...erial=83920188

Comment

Clint, your comments cause me to think that another activity along these lines could be a sled like they use at truck pulls. Isn't it correct that there was one of those at an Iowa rally quite a few years ago?
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thats right! I remember the sled pull in the arena several (many) years ago. My favorite parts of past rallys were the demos of the trucks at work. Like Clint taking down the windmill and the winching uphill backwards...

I also remember studying those Nebraska Tractor tests at college. That would be cool if they had a portable unit or something that would travel.

The PTO test might would work for a few, I'd have to run it off my winch!!!
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
            X