Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Iowa Rally, June 11-14, 2008

Good news emerges....

I spoke by telephone with Dave Butler this afternoon. He has reserved the Jefferson County fairgrounds for the 2008 Iowa Rally to be held June 11-14, 2008.

Dave indicated to me that he has an advisory board formed that will be doing the organization of this next rally. There were so many disappointed people as a result of the announcement that he was not having an event that he felt he really needed to do something to see that a rally could occur again. The rally may have fewer activities, but that may also result in lower costs to participants. All of that remains unresolved yet, but the advisory board will share information as things move forward.

There will be a solicitation for others to participate in this process by the advisory board as they determine their course of action. I think this is wonderful news, as I was very sad at the thought of not having another Iowa Rally. I am creating a new forum on PWA forums to promote this event.

It was wonderful to see all the folks that came this year, and I very much look forward to next year’s event.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Great!!!!!!

Comment

That is great news!! I know I was sort of humbled by the thought of not being able to go to Iowa for the rally next year. I couldn't really imagine what others were feeling that have been to all 20 events...

I look forward to hear from the advisory board and will help anyway that I can.

Pieter

Comment

2008 event

Hi Everyone,

What is the rally all about? I hear about it but I'm not sure what it is... What are the activities? Are Sweptline Power Wagons invited? Is it just for military PW's?

Is there a link or website for the event?

Thanks

Comment

Here is a link to Vintage Power Wagons and their listing of what the Rally is about.

http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/ra...nual-rally.htm

This was my 4th year attending and I've always left having a great time, tons of photo's and meeting new friends! And that is without taking a truck! Guess I need to get my truck done for my 5th Rally.

As far as what is welcome, I believe anything Dodge related is welcome.
          The cut-off year seems to be about 1980. Officially, 1971 would be the cut-off but I have seen later 70's dodges... The back parking lot is a Rally in itself with all the dodge tow rigs, cummins equipped rigs and the few Fords and Chevies...

Pieter

This was a beautifully restored 1970

and there were almost as many M-37 vehicles as flat fender power wagons.
          or so it seemed

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun!!!
            I think I'll plan to attend next year.

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by frankyb View Post
              Hi Everyone,

What is the rally all about? I hear about it but I'm not sure what it is... What are the activities? Are Sweptline Power Wagons invited? Is it just for military PW's?

Is there a link or website for the event?

Thanks
              Yes, certainly, Sweptline Power Wagons are very welcome. It is for Dodge 4X4's, both military and civilian, and we have had them attend even up into the series that ended in 1993. There have also been some very nice two wheel drive, early Dodges.

Comment

2007 Rally

Attended for the first time this year. What a blast looking at all the wonderful trucks! Six of us flew in Saturday morning and spent the day. Three of us own either an M37 or a '50s Power Wagon. Before we left two more guys owned Power Wagons and the other guy is looking for a good one!

Great time was had by all! Wish we had planned for a longer stay, but we will next year. Obviously, we're getting a pretty good group of PW's here in Indianapolis. I expect there will be more . . . .

Dave

Comment

Dave, glad you and your crew enjoyed the rally. Just curious, as we were about to head back to Indiana a guy was loading a PW onto a U Haul trailer bound for Indy. Any chance this one was for one of your friends? It looked pretty scary seeing that PW on that little trailer behind an F 150 Ford. I was just wondering if it made it safely. Also have you seen Chris MacAllister's collection of trucks?

Comment

Rally

Ron:

That wasn't one of our guy's trucks. Both of them are being delivered.

I don't know Chris MacAllister, but sounds like I'd like to. Where is he located?

I'd also like to come up and meet you someday and see some of your handy work. I've admired the pictures I've seen.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by frankyb View Post
                      Looks like a lot of fun!!!
                      I think I'll plan to attend next year.

Thanks!!
                      Frank! We can start a West Coast Caravan!

Comment

Originally posted by djester View Post
                        Ron:

That wasn't one of our guy's trucks. Both of them are being delivered.

I don't know Chris MacAllister, but sounds like I'd like to. Where is he located?

I'd also like to come up and meet you someday and see some of your handy work. I've admired the pictures I've seen.

Dave
                        Dave, it's a good thing it wasn't your buddies truck, way to scary.
                        Chris MacAllister of MacAllister Machinery the big Caterpiller dealer on the east side of Indy off 465 and Shadeland? He has a number of PW's and Cat tractors.

Anytime your up this way on a weekend stop by and I'll give you the tour.

Comment

Rally

Hey, Ron, he is building a hanger at Mt. Comfort airport, as we speak. Don't know him, but we have some mutual friends. He has loaned us some equipment to use during the Indianapolis Air Show that we put on to benefit Riley Hospital For Children. Hopefully, he will keep a PW at the airport with the three other ones kept there!

Look forward to stopping in someday -- with notice, of course.

Dave

Comment

2008 Iowa rally

Hello fellow Iowa rally fans. As some of you have heard, there was a possibility of no rally in 2008. Dave Butler and his staff would like to take a break to catch their breath and a well deserved rest.

Due to the overwhelming disappointment and shock of the crowd, Dave has given the encouragement and opportunity to put together a committee to host a rally in 2008. The dates will be June 11 to the 14.

The Jefferson county fair grounds have already been booked. We have also reserved the Best Western hotel for the Saturday night banquet. We have also all the rooms at the hotel for the rally days (they will only hold the rooms until two weeks before the rally so reserve early). Hold, in this case, means that they hold all the rooms in the hotel, in anticipation of the rally all the way up until two weeks before. You must reserve a room from this block of rooms, and you must tell them that it is for the Power Wagon Rally.

Also we have contacted the Super 8, the Economy Inn, and the Landmark Inn, and given them the dates, however they will not hold any rooms for reservations for the rally. You may, however, phone them directly and make reservations yourself.

We will keep you posted as events unfold, any comments and suggestions will be encouraged and welcomed.

Thanks for your support
                            Last edited by Gordon Maney; 06-13-2007, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I just made my reservations; I got the same room.

Comment

Working...
                              X