Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any experience with the ranger overdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any experience with the ranger overdrive?

I have been looking for an overdrive transmission for an upcoming engine swap. Just read about the Ranger Overdrive made by Advanced adaptors.

any one have experience with one in actual use?

A friend of mine in TX. is running one in his CJ-6. He has a 258 straight six with a ranger over drive and then a T19 four speed. Does a lot of heavy wheeling in Colorado. He really likes it. I was actually thinking about a ranger OD in a M37 but I notice that they seem to not offer one behind a dodge engine. May be a deciding factor which engine to go with.

Comment

Thanks Rush,

Glad to hear the O/D unit is well liked. I have not been able to find any 5 speed transmissions with gear ratio's I like better than the 4 speeds out there, so I may head in this direction..

Comment

OD Ranger and OD Transmissions

if you have not done it yet, surf this site.

http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Mills View Post
          Thanks Rush,

Glad to hear the O/D unit is well liked. I have not been able to find any 5 speed transmissions with gear ratio's I like better than the 4 speeds out there, so I may head in this direction..

Check out the Clark 280V0 5spd.

Also, Gear Vendors makes an overdrive unit that bolts to the tcase output of the NP205. It can also be divorce mounted from I understand. Its also designed to handle lots of torque and horsepower too.

Comment

What I'd like to see is a unit for the NP 200 t-case similar to the Warn/Saturn PTO overdrive used on the Dana 18 unit. This gave you an overdrive in all gears, including reverse. It didn't require any driveshaft mods either, just a bolt-in affair with an extra lever in the cab.

Comment

Originally posted by maineSS View Post
              What I'd like to see is a unit for the NP 200 t-case similar to the Warn/Saturn PTO overdrive used on the Dana 18 unit. This gave you an overdrive in all gears, including reverse. It didn't require any driveshaft mods either, just a bolt-in affair with an extra lever in the cab.
              That would be too easy!

The Ranger and the Gear Vendors unit would do the same thing, but alas, would require some driveshaft mods at the very least.

Comment

for some reason i am more interested in a ranger overdrive than the gear vendors unit. Still, both would work, but I am thinking a Ranger, bolted in front of a SM 465, with a NP205 behind it, converted to the right side output, would be idea, and there may be a chance that the transfer case location would not need be moved...

do you all think that a good transmission and transfer case combination would be worth $500 as i have seen it advertised locally?

Comment

do you all think that a good transmission and transfer case combination would be worth $500 as i have seen it advertised locally?
                  I don't know, does it come with the whole truck?

I can't speak for your location, but up here in the far north where rust eats everything, and clunkers are everywhere, I don't tend to pay much more than 100 bucks per item, ie. 200 bucks should get you a decent 4spd with tcase. It depends alot on the seller, especially if they know what they have. I know that I wouldn't pay any more than 500 bucks ever, and it had better include everthing from the clutch to both driveshafts, clutch linkage or hydraulic setup, shifters, boots, everything.

Or just offer the 500 for the whole truck and see if he goes for that... There are always parts that can be used, from spring hangers, to knobs and switches...

Comment

good point, about all the other parts that can be useful.. I don't want the whole truck here in the yard, but I may be able to work a deal to pick it clean in his yard.. for a price.

Comment

good point, about all the other parts that can be useful.. I don't want the whole truck here in the yard, but I may be able to work a deal to pick it clean in his yard.. for a price.

I can appreciate that, my own junk (ahem, treasure's) now spans two separate yards; My own, and stuff that still needs to migrate from Dads backyard to my yard. If you can pick it clean somewhere else, then go for it. Otherwise, if you've got access to a car trailer long term, pick it clean from there, and then haul it off to the recycler. Wives and mothers don't tend to mind so much if its still on a trailer...

Comment

Ranger OD - Get one!

I've had one since 1983, rated at 20,000GVW, it'll upshift without the clutch( quick shifts), 27% over 3rd FEELS like half a gear higher. Best modification I've ever done

Comment

Working...
                        X