16" budd rims andtires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16" budd rims andtires

I'm shopping around for tires to go on the original budd rims, will 315/ 75's fit the original rims ok and was informed running tubes in radial tires is a bad idea due to heat build up and tube detiroration. any thoughts?

315/75/16 = 34.6" x 12.4"
    35/12.50's are a little wide for the Budds.

Comment

We have been installing Yokohama Geolander M/T Radials on the 16" Budd for years. Never the first issue has come up, and all owners have loved them. The size is LT315-75R16. The fit is good, it's a premium quality tire that balances and runs great both off road and at highway speeds. Our Cummins powered trucks are capable of 75 MPH on highway. We use a standard 16" radial flap and a 9.00X15 radial lowboy trailer tube. Heat build up is no issue at all.

Comment

Bias tubes should not be used in radial tires. If you go the radial route, be sure to switch to radial tubes as well.
        John

Comment

12.50's on a Budd?

I was thinking that 12.50 or 13" tires are too wide for the 6.5" rim. Thanks for the info, though. Certainly opens up my own tire search. I thought I was limited to 9/16's and 9 or 10/20's.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
            I was thinking that 12.50 or 13" tires are too wide for the 6.5" rim. Thanks for the info, though. Certainly opens up my own tire search. I thought I was limited to 9/16's and 9 or 10/20's.
            The tires I speak about are not that wide, 12.5 or 13" does not apply to Yokohama M/T radials.

Comment

Big tires on skinny Budds

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
              The tires I speak about are not that wide, 12.5 or 13" does not apply to Yokohama M/T radials.
              315/75R16 is a metric designation.
              315 is the width, and 315 milimeters is (315/25.4) 12.401 inches.
              75 is the aspect ratio or height of the tire from the rim to outside edge.
              So,
              315 x 75 /2540 x 2 + 16" = 34.602" OD.

That's how I came up with 34.6/12.4" tires.

On Joe's site, Paul Cook shows a truck with 38x13 Swampers on Budds, and I'm sure there are others who have used similar sizes. Like I said, thanks for the info. It sure opens up the search for me.
              I wonder how wide I can go with the duals on my VF...

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
                315/75R16 is a metric designation.
                315 is the width, and 315 milimeters is (315/25.4) 12.401 inches.
                75 is the aspect ratio or height of the tire from the rim to outside edge.
                So,
                315 x 75 /2540 x 2 + 16" = 34.602" OD.

That's how I came up with 34.6/12.4" tires.

On Joe's site, Paul Cook shows a truck with 38x13 Swampers on Budds, and I'm sure there are others who have used similar sizes. Like I said, thanks for the info. It sure opens up the search for me.
                I wonder how wide I can go with the duals on my VF...
                You are correct with the overall tread width, I'm speaking of the bead width when mounted. Yokohama recommends a rim width of 8" for this specific tire, however they will perform great on the 6.5" Budd.

Comment

Working...
                X