Front axles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front axles...

Here's an interesting possibilty for increasingly unobtainable front axles. Rockford is apparently looking at making replacement front PW axles with their super-CV joint- they have a vehicle-restoration service for driveline parts that is measuring one up now. 4-Wheeler's March 2010 issue has an article, and you can go to www.rcvperformance.com to see their product. It isn't cheap, but it's made in the US, and comes with a "You bust it, We replace it" guarantee.

Originally posted by maineSS View Post
    vehicle-restoration service for driveline parts that is measuring one up now.
    Interesting, where did you here/obtain this? Would be a nice (but expensive) improvement. We would then be able to get a little better turning radius?
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Probably not- turning radius is limited by the stops on the knuckles, which were designed for the Tracta joint. You can lube them from the front of the stub shaft, which would mean you wouldn't have to pack the knuckles with grease.

Comment

Yes, but the limiting bolts can be adjusted/removed. Still where did you here/obtain this?

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

Comment

..... 4-Wheeler's March 2010 issue has an article, and you can go to www.rcvperformance.com to see their product....
          The info is in the first post Will....:)

Comment

MasterYota, Ah OK, I didn't read the post that that was the source, Thanks.

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

Comment

Modern Axles

About 5 or so years ago, a run of modern front and rear axles were made up by the fellow at this link: http://www.killeraxles.com/

At the time, I believe he lived in Utah? Being a German, he has since relocated back to Germany.

I bought a set of rear axles and was very happy with the quality. I've got about 7,000 miles on them with out an issue. I wished I had stepped up for a set of fronts, but at the time, I think the fronts were something like $800 for a set without u-joints and $1,000 w/ high spec ujoints installed.

Since I need to tear down the front this spring, I am interested in what the new offering is all about.

Thanks for the heads up.

Rod

Comment

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=10636

Comment

knuckles

Probably not- turning radius is limited by the stops on the knuckles, which were designed for the Tracta joint. You can lube them from the front of the stub shaft, which would mean you wouldn't have to pack the knuckles with grease.
                  if they were not packed with grease, how would the upper&lower bushings and/or bearings get lubed? I seem to have missed something here. and wouldn't the knuckel itself need something? (where the wiper wipes) my pea brain is lost! Dave.

Comment

That explains why I couldn't find it in the article, I missed this post some how.

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

Comment

With respect to knuckle lubrication, youd have to keep the ball greased up by hand, or keep the felt seal oiled up. The axle bushing would need some thought. The OEM setup relies on a torturous path for lube- oil has to make two 90 degree turns thru small clearances just to get into the bushing. It would be nice to have a replaceable sleeve on the axle so wear could be accomodated without resorting to a new axle. Maybe a new bushing design with a front oil seal so diff lube could oil the bushing like modern axles?

Comment

Unless lebowski is getting feedback/progress from RCV, I don't think they are doing anything. I tried to get an update from them with no response.

Thanks,
                        Will
                        WAWII.com

Comment

I'd be surprised, but I hope they do it

Really if anything major happens in this arena. No Company will bite the expense of this done right unless they see a substantial profit involved. I would imagine feelers are already out to major parts suppliers like VPW, 4-wheel drive shops, suppliers, and a few others if these folks are serious about offering shafts. The response from the major suppliers will likely be the make or break issue on the final decision to proceed or stop. I'd love to see it happen, however what is covered in the article will not cover all the issues that need to be addressed such as the aforementioned bushing lube issues etc. This project done right would include the whole situation being addressed in a kit form. To do this will be costly, unless substantial demand is there, it will not be profitable, not even close in the sale of just a few.

We have done some custom stuff just so we could offer it in our rebuilt trucks. Most of this stuff is yet to see any real profit. We have simply swallowed the investment so we could build a better truck. Unless these folks are devoted enough to do that also, I have my doubts as to whether a follow through will happen. Guess we will see if it goes forward.

Comment

I haven't been in contact with PCV. Exchanged a few emails awhile ago, set up the post, gave him the link, but not much happened. As Charles mentioned, perhaps the market for this is too small. There was not much activity on the thread so perhaps PCV may have been discouraged about pursueing the old Dodge market.

Comment

Working...
                            X