High-Output Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-Output Alternator

I have been considering my next two under the hood upgrades. Both hinge on an alternator. First is a new ignition box, distributor, coil & wires. I am leaning towards a MSD 6AL & MSD Coil. The second is a dual battery. I am looking for any personal experience you have had with an alternator that will provide the correct amperage & power to meet or exceed my needs.

I'm running a POWERMASTER 140 amp one wire alternator, with dual batteries connected through a WARN Battery Isolator.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

The Powermaster site denotes that "the 140 amp unit requires slight bracket modifications." What modifications did you have to make?
      I have a 400 in my Adventurer.

Comment

As I was adapting the alternator to a 68 V-8, I had to fabricate my own custom brackets. But if memory serves me right the mounting point is further forward than stock.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Why not use the stock Mopar hi output alt. like on the cop cars?Upgrade to the matching voltage regulater and yer done.Dual batteries,been there done that,looks trick but a waste on a gas engine.Better off buying the biggest gel cell you can find.

Comment

mine was originally like a 60 amp and i swapped in a 100 amp stock unit, but i also relocated mine up higher so i modded my brackets anyways. i am going to be running dual batteries with a marine selector switch. i also have a MSD 6AL and an MSD coil. ive had people tell me to make sure i have the 100 amp voltage regulator but when i look it up at work, the 60 amp and 100 amp regulators are the same number. i even called neihoff directly and they said its the same part.

where i mounted mine

new and old

Comment

With respect to batteries, I'll take Odyssey dry cell batteries to the grave. I've had Odyssey batteries in my motorcycles for years and an Odyssey PC2150S in the 880 for maybe four years. It's an outstanding battery; over 1300 cca's. Some say they need "special" chargers but I don't want to hear it. We run them deep cycle on fueling trucks at the job with only one or two bad per year in a fleet of 80 vehicles using standard low amp (3-10amp) chargers. Two drawbacks to the Odyssey. First is the battery is expensive ($300-$400). Second; when you first hook it up it has a habit of finding the weakest link in your electrical system. For example, the first time I turned the key after installing it my starter burnt out. Like smoky smoky burnt out. New starter installed, a few weeks go by and I start having intermittent alternator problems. Upgrade from the $40 el-cheapo NAPA brand to a $100 Bosch lifetime from Advance, no problems concerning the battery since.

Comment

With respect to this thread “I am looking for any personal experience you have had with an alternator”. If you want to talk batteries start a new thread.

Thanks for the images and info W_A_Watson_II & smalltowncowboy. A friend of mine told me that he had an alternator from an ambulance at one time but he no longer has it. I may try to track one down.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumJo View Post
                  The second is a dual battery.
                  This was the section of your initial post that I was providing input for and attempting to provide an opinion for an alternative to a dual battery set up in addition to providing a personal experience with the consequences an excessive amount of stored amperage had to my charging system.

Comment

have an alternator shop build your stocker for higher amps

a good alt shop can safely up the amps in your stock case - no mods necessary to brackets. the powermaster is just a hopped up unit with some mods. for guys that are running a stock flathead, have them build the alt so it excites at low rpms.

get a marine (blue sea) brand "add a battery" kit from west marine. It includes a cutoff switch and a marine grade isolator. it keeps one battery isolated for the starter and charges both batteries as needed. the switch allows you to turn off system (nice to have), run both batts separate and combined. i use them in my boats and really like it. use good cables.

Comment

Yah the west marine battery switch is the same one I have but I was able to find it at my local ACE Hardware for half the price and no shipping.

Comment

hardware store?

i doubt you found this item at the hardware store. if so, post a link as i'm interested. it is made by blue sea.

http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/329

Comment

Threads often include related information, so it is not surprising we could legitimately get comment on batteries and how they complement charging system performance.
                          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by mannyc View Post
                            i doubt you found this item at the hardware store. if so, post a link as i'm interested. it is made by blue sea.

http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/329

i dont have a link but ill take a pic of it this weekend (if i can remember too)

Comment

I have decided to eliminate the alternator all together and just run one of these around.

Now I need that switch

Comment

Working...
                              X