Fish carburetor fun & games...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matthew Ziegler View Post
    Maine, are you still running the fish carb? I just mounted a newer one made by mike brown in the eighties on my m37. After some fiddling I have it almost dialed in, Tremendous power increase over the carter.
    Matthew, would you mind sharing the photos and details of your installation, can you give us a better description of the power gain?
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I put a Holley 1945 on my WDX about a month ago, I have not driven it on the road, only pulling firewood out from behind the house... Still it idles better than I remember, and low end or off idle response seems to be crisp... As Maine has said, about the Fish carb, it does not stall easily, the Fish carb may be better than this 1945, or any 1945 for that matter..

One issue that this particular carb, or all 1945''s may have is percolation. It boils the fuel rather easily at shutdown. I will at some point create a heat insulation shield, and see if that helps but I would not recommend anyone seeking out the 1945.. The holley 1920 is supposed to be a better carb than the 1945, But that option was not available at the Scrap Yard... IF I found a Carter BBS I would try that in a heart beat..

What Mathew has on his truck may well be head and shoulders above anything I can find locally, but I can attest that there are improvements to be had over the Ball & Ball if you do not mind the lack of originality..

Comment

On my WDX i am running the Weber 32/36 DGV Carburetor and it has worked great for everything I use it for. Mine rarely with the exception of Rally time hits the highway. As far as cold and hot starts, steep inclines and declines it has worked much better than the stock carburetor.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Sorry, haven't been on here in a long time, Matthew If I can get your e mail, I'll send a few pictures of the fish setup. I had tried a webber and it was an improvement, with the fish set for power it's fairly easy to make the clutch slip if that's an indication

Comment

Working...
          X