3053 married NP205

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3053 married NP205

I was curious if anyone out there has successfully made an adapter for this combination? I am currently having this adapter made, and was wondering if there was any advice that might be useful.....

I must admit, I don't know; what is a 3053?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

its a spicer transmission that im making an adapter to marry it to a NP205 transfer case for my diesel powered M-37...

Comment

Originally posted by mastermechanic19 View Post
        its a spicer transmission that im making an adapter to marry it to a NP205 transfer case for my diesel powered M-37...
        This transmission is from a military vehicle, I gather? What vehicle is the source of these transmissions? People learning here can benefit from that kind of knowledge.

Is this an overdrive transmission?

Comment

This transmission is out of the 2 1/2 ton military trucks, it's bellhousing is SAE 3, fits nicely behind a 4BTA Cummins diesel. With this adapter, I am connecting a 6 bolt round Chevy NP205 transfer case, along with a "centered" rear axle out of the civilian dodge pw. I dropped everything off at the machine shop on friday, gave them my drawings- hope to have it in a couple weeks--

Comment

Of additional interest

The stock Spicer doesn't have a very deep overdrive. This is the fix for that:
            http://waterloospecialties.webs.com/

Comment

Yes,
              I have already been In contact with Tom, the units should be available sometime this month/I hope to pic up my adapter from the machine shop in the morning. Can't wait to get it together!

Comment

I'll look forward to your progress.

Comment

Adapter

Well I finally got all the adapter components made. Assembly of the engine mounts, transfer case crossmember is next.Check it out!!

https://www.me.com/gallery/#100166

Comment

Originally posted by mastermechanic19 View Post
                    Well I finally got all the adapter components made. Assembly of the engine mounts, transfer case crossmember is next.Check it out!!

https://www.me.com/gallery/#100166
                    It requires some sort of log in.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                      It requires some sort of log in.

Try this one insteadhttp://web.me.com/mulie197/Site/M-37.html

Comment

Looks great! The 3053a (especially with the overdrive upgrade) looks to be a great way to go. Generally cheaper than an NV4500, which often need a fix on 5th gear anyway. I've been considering a 3053a for my build, but the hangup always seems to be the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate. Clearly it can be accomplished (M-Series Rebuild), but getting proven part numbers to put it all together has been challenging to say the least! Since you seem to have things bolted together using the SAE3 housing, I'm curious if you've solved the issue and if so, would you be willing to either submit an article to Gordon for PWA or to publish the full specs here.

Looking forward to seeing additional progress!

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike,
                          Yes I do plan on an article one day with Gordon once the build is complete. As of right now, I have all the components as far as the flywheel, clutch and so forth. The only thing missing is the pilot bearing. I do not have anything assembled as far as clutch, or even the gears inside the transmission because I do not need the extra weight when doing the fab work for the engine/transfer case mounts. I can tell you though, the input shaft on the spicer is about .250" to long, and it must be machined off. the problem is the end of the shaft hits the crankshaft when the bellhousing is mated together. I had Southbend Clutch build me a custom pressure plate/clutch assembly. I specified that I didn't want a very strong pressure plate due to the fact that I wanted a soft pedal, and with a 4BTA in a 3/4 ton truck, I don't think there is any way one could slip a medium duty truck clutch. The NP-205 is the best thing that could ever happen to the M-37, combine it with a 3053A and it is essentially bullet proof. The married set-up is icing on the cake ;)

Comment

Working...
                          X