installation of disc brakes from uglyduckling.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installation of disc brakes from uglyduckling.com

I'm accepting delivery of a 53 M37 in a few weeks that has been repowered with a detroit 3-43 from a gama goat. Brakes are weak.

1. I need to immediately inspect and adjust the drums. What the best TM to order please?

2. I do plan to install dual circuit brakes and or front discs from uglytrucking.com. Anyone out there with experience on this. I find the directions lacking.

Steve of Dallas, Tx

Disc/Duel Circuit Brakes

Welcome scubasteve,
    You've stumbled into/onto the right place, I have a Caddy Hydro-Vac Booster and Ray's front disc. (still need to do the disc brake install) It's a worthy asset and should allow shorter stopping distances. I will need to look at my manual collection form the ##'s but Portrayal Press would be the place to purchase them, there's more than one. www.portrayalpress.com

The link doesn't work for some reason, try there email or give them a call. enail; info@portrayal.com
    Land Line is; 973-597-5781
    Call in the morning, Eastern Time, as they are in New Jersey.
    Post a pic of your rig when you can, we really want to check it out, don't forget the under the hood shots as I'd like to see how they shoe-horned that Goat engine in there?
    Again, Welcome 2 The Fold!

Comment

detroit 353 when first installed. NOT my work, sigh.

It ray the poc at uglytruckling.com? Anyhow,,,as a book person I just found the instruction from uglytrucking lacking figures and what not.I"ve have to rearch the nature of your booster. I"m actually from VA Beach....but at least our trucks here are fairly dry.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ray has moved most, if not all of his manufacturing overseas, Thailand, I think. He does have a stateside POC, but I do not know who or where, I do think it was supposed to be someone on the east coast. Someone should chime in w/some info on the where-a-bouts of the brake kit.

I'm bad about things like this, I've had the kit for more than 3 years..............

Comment

Here are the latest instructions from Ray. I just contacted him about a week ago. You will need to email him for availabilty though.

From rsuiter@helitool.com :

The mailing address has been changed etc. so read that part of the instructions again. Make check payable to Ray Suiter.

M37/WDX Hub shipping and payment instructions

You will need to ship 2 hubs for each set ordered to:

Joe McGinnis
          2675 Deer Foot Road
          Blairsville, Ga 30512

You can email him at callent.beefalo@hotmail.com to let him know your hubs are on their way to him and let him know what the tracking numbers are.

Hub preparation for shipping:

1. Remove the brake drums from the hubs

2. Remove the 5 large wheel studs (you will need to reinstall them when your hubs are returned after conversion)

3. Remove the small 3/8" axle studs.

4. Leave the RACES in the hubs. If you have removed the races send them with the hubs so we can use them for the first machining operation and shot blasting of the hubs.

5. If axle studs are missing from your hubs, make sure that none of the small axle studs are broken off in their holes.

6. Remove the seal and snap-ring and clean the hubs inside and out.

7. Do not ship more than 2 hubs per box, if you do the hubs will probably destroy themselves and their container before arriving here.

8. If you have an empty 5 gallon plastic bulk oil pail with snap-on lid it will make
          a good container for shipping 2 hubs. Be sure to tape or use 4 screws to screw the lid on to keep it from popping off.

9. A cardboard box can also be used for shipping but make sure it is a strong
          one and use lots of packing tape to strengthen it.

10. Do not use foam peanuts for packing as they will not protect the hubs from
          each other when Fedex or UPS throws the box 20' into their truck!

Rolled up cardboard around and in between the hubs is best.

Payment instructions

Total Cost is $530 per set plus shipping.

Send payment of $430 plus $20 shipping for the caliper bracket set to:

Ray Suiter
          PO Box 5674
          Central Point, OR 97502

Make check or money order payable to Ray Suiter

When you mail payment please include the following information.

1. Your street address.
          2. Your phone number
          3. What you are ordering
          4. What make and model truck it is for

When processing the order I may not have access to previous emails you have sent.

You will also need to contact Joe McGinnis callent.beefalo@hotmail.com for payment and hub shipping instructions for conversion of your hubs which should be $100 plus the cost of shipping your converted hubs back to you.
          1949 B-1 PW
          1950 B-2 PW
          1965 WM300
          1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
          1970 Challenger RT 383
          1987 Ramcharger 4x4
          1991.5 W250 diesel
          1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
          2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Comment

disc brakes

I used the disc brake kit mentioned on the front of my m37, definately worthwhile, first time I ever had the front of this truck go down when I hit the brakes. only one set of drums to adjust now and panic stops don't require two feet( kidding)

Comment

As Steve said, Ray posted at the other site that he would be around till the end of the month and then un-available till September at which time he was going to retire Helitool. So if you want the kits I'd do it now.

I just ordered two sets for my project too. Wasn't really ready to do the axles yet but this kind of changed that plan.

Comment

Suggestion

For a brake manual you can download, go to the Kempner (TEXAS) Power Wagon Museum web site and scroll down the FAQ's to BRAKES.

To get first hand knowledge, come spend some time with Power Wagon folks at the 19th Annual TEXAS Power Wagon Reunion which will be held April 8th, 9th, and 10th, 2011, at Goliad, TEXAS, 330 miles from Dallas.

This TEXAS event is listed in the events forum which tells you to Click http://www.texaspowerwagon.com/2011-TPWR.htm for details and directions.

On this, and other Power Wagon and Dodge web sites, there are more events listed in California, West Virginia, South Carolina, Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa.

Comment

Goliiad

Thanks I just may do that. Attend. I have recently made road trips from Dallas to Lubbock (to purchase a M37) and near Houston for a hog hunt. So this will give me an excuse to see more of the state since I'm new to it.

Steve

Comment

At some time, Ray really will retire, instead of just saying he'll do it. Has anyone thought of continuing God's Work.....

Comment

Working...
                    X