W500 power giant drivetrain options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W500 power giant drivetrain options

I am now the owner of a 1960 Power Giant W500. I know these PG's are rare in the W500 model.
    The truck has what looks like a replacement 318 engine (blue color). It has a 4 speed tranny with the pto spacer and pto for the front winch. The pto looks like the one for an NP420 tranny; I think that is the tranny on this truck but not sure.
    I know the gold standard to me for a restomod would be a 6BT with a NP4500. But, that I know would be pricey and I have not decided on that direction yet.
    Another option would be to keep the 318 here, or another Chrysler gasser.
    Questions:
    I am wondering if an NP540 would bolt up to this 318 without any trouble?
    Would this tranny be an upgrade over the 4 speed? It seems logical it would.
    I know there is an O.D. version, but it is hard to find (I read the excellent thread on this in the archives where the shift pattern is explained).
    Does the NP540 need a specific pto for it, or could it use the NP420 style pto?
    Could the current spacer present be utilized to help with clearance of the forward shaft to the winch?
    Many questions in this the pondering stage of the restoration.

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
    I am now the owner of a 1960 Power Giant W500. I know these PG's are rare in the W500 model.
    The truck has what looks like a replacement 318 engine (blue color). It has a 4 speed tranny with the pto spacer and pto for the front winch. The pto looks like the one for an NP420 tranny; I think that is the tranny on this truck but not sure.
    I know the gold standard to me for a restomod would be a 6BT with a NP4500. But, that I know would be pricey and I have not decided on that direction yet.
    Another option would be to keep the 318 here, or another Chrysler gasser.
    Questions:
    I am wondering if an NP540 would bolt up to this 318 without any trouble?
    Would this tranny be an upgrade over the 4 speed? It seems logical it would.
    I know there is an O.D. version, but it is hard to find (I read the excellent thread on this in the archives where the shift pattern is explained).
    Does the NP540 need a specific pto for it, or could it use the NP420 style pto?
    Could the current spacer present be utilized to help with clearance of the forward shaft to the winch?
    Many questions in this the pondering stage of the restoration.
    It sounds like a really neat truck. I suspect the 540 would work on the bellhousing, or at the very least, a bellhousing would be out there that would fit that engine and accept the 540. I have a bellhousing on my W300 that accepts the NP435 and the 540. Perhaps someone here will know if the 435 and 420 both fit the same bellhousing. I believe you will find you need a different PTO.

I can easily understand how the 6BT seems like a great idea, and it is a great idea. A more affordable engine might be a 440, or a heavy truck 413 with the different heads and front cover, if you easily found one of those. A 440 would give great peformance, and I suspect you are not building this truck to be an economical commuter.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Dave,I have a suggestion on an engine. Go back to a poly 318, they have tons of torque for what you want and with the low gears it will pull anything you need to. I have an NP 540 out of a 57 D700 not an OD but I can compare bellhousings and PTO ports. This tranny was behind a 354 hemi if that makes a difference on mounting. I'll see what I can find out, the tranny is for sale.

Comment

I do believe that 435 & 540's use the same bell, so if 420 & 435 do likewise then 540 & 420 would match. I am not 100% certain though. Someone one sweptline.org or Norm's site would likely know.

Dave I wished you were closer. I won't be using my poly 318 & NP540 that's in my 66 W500.

You mentioned a PTO "spacer" & I have seen pics of such a creature. I assume this is to get the PTO shaft (going forward) to clear a crossmember. My crossmember has a factory hole for the PTO shaft to pass through, at least I think that's what it was for. My PTO was removed long ago.

My 75 W600 has LA318 & 540. I will replace the 318 with my 440, almost have all the pieces rounded up already.

Bucky

Comment

Ron,
          I am kinda interested in that tranny. I also will keep my eyes open for a poly engine. The engine in this truck is not stuck; not sure if it can be made to run though. I think it is an LA engine.
          Since you are in Indiana it is not too far for me, especially if I go to the rally in June which as of now is in the plans.
          I am interested in what you find out with your queries on the mounting up of it with a 318.

Bucky, thanks for your input on this subject.
          If you were going to Iowa then again it might be a deal maker on the engine. I do not want to commit for sure but am interested.

Gordon makes a good point regarding the 440 too.

Comment

I have a poly at least I think it is in a 1960 d300 the engine runs but differentially needs a rebuild bad compression and blows smoke. I know I will not be using the engine not sure what I will do with the truck but right now engine is still in truck. Its basically a parts I pulled a few parts for a 59 w200 was going to use the fuel tank in another truck. Removed the gas tank today with the nice weather filled it with water and watched it come out of a few holes. If you are not in a big rush and interested in the engine let me know I am in Central NJ,

Comment

My W500 came with the 540 (non overdrive I believe) behind the 361BB.
              I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
              1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
              1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
              1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
              2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Will,
                It sounds like the NP540 is pretty verstatile. I am leaning toward a poly 318 and the NP540.
                question, does the NP540 have a specific PTO? I have an extra PTO for an NP 420, not sure if it can be used on the 540. I also have the spacer for it.

Comment

Doc,

I'm not sure on the PTO, as my W500's PTO is driven off the Transfercase, sorry.

Here is a link I found from Grant in CO (Chelsea PTO Model #41K12): http://rides.webshots.com/album/1845...xAoyA?start=12

Can't vouch for it's accuracy or info, but it might help.

Will
                  I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                  Will
                  WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                  1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                  1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                  1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                  2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Working...