My M's NP435 2nd Gear Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My M's NP435 2nd Gear Investigation

While having fun in MO with the family last weekend, I started having some shifting problems. Checked it out, and apparently the special adjusting lock nut (stock to the '68 drive train) was no longer locking, and allowed the clutch linkage to self adjust and not allow me to fully disengage the clutch.

I made a semi quick adjustment (after pulling the tranny floor cover) but still had some issues getting into 2nd. It's stiff/hard to get into 2nd but the clutch works great now as well as the other gears.

Once back home I've added a jam nut and re-adjusted the clutch. The new Lucas Synthetic 50 wt. Trans Lubricant arrived today, so I drained the old 90 wt. gear oil and pulled the shift cover off. The oil in the bottom was a little dark, but the oil up on the gears and all was clean. Only a little metal on the drain plug magnet, no water or anything else.

Everything component wise looks good in the shift cover and the tranny inside. I played around with manually placing it into 2nd. Based on what I see, the Second Speed Synchronizer brake (the spring loaded component between the two left gears) has some pins that ride in the right gear, and it looks like it may me moving too for the left (rearward in vehicle), allowing the tapered part of the pins to permit it to bind while they slide into the gear. Not sure, but I can't find any other issues. I cleaned the oil out of the bottom, and will re-fill it before I re-install the top and put her all back together and enjoy the fun some more.

Will

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Really great photos!
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks Gordon. I've still not replaced my camera I drove the M over in the spring, but my new Phone takes better pictures than it ever did, it just doesn't have the zoom lens.

Will
      http://m37.wawii.com/

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

Comment

Can't find these Items in my NP435

OK, the Synchronizer Retainer and Split Lock Ring are there and intact. However I can't seem to locate where the two "Spring" items are between the Second Speed Synchronizer Brake and the First Speed Gear.

Where are/should they be?

Everything still looks good, it just seems that the Second Speed Synchronizer Brake three pins tapered portion catches on the edges of the holes in the Second Speed Gear when you shift into Second. Could be wear on the Pins or hole.

Thanks,
        Will
        My Dodge Power Wagons

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

Comment

Double checked everything and can't find any obvious issues. In the first picture you will see the "Second Speed Syncrhonizer Brake" pin that mates to the second speed gear. You can see the tapered portion of the pin, and the hole in the gear. This is the alignment/binding I believe I'm feeling. As long as you take your time and don't force it, the shifting works fine. Everything is back together and time will tell if I continue to have any significant issues.

Thanks,
          will
          http://m37.wawii.com/

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com