Beeping Flasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beeping Flasher

When you drive a vehicle with non-cancelling turn signals, it's very easy to forget and leave them on for long periods, much to the uncertainty of following traffic. When I wired in my 905 turn signal switch, I bought a unit from Turn-Alarm (www.turn-alarm.com) which worked well for several years.

After rewiring my truck with a modern fusebox and wiring harness, I had to get another beeping flasher, as the new box used (2) two-prong 552 flashers.
    I decided to make my own unit, as I had a spare 12V piezo buzzer lying around.

Pic #1 shows the buzzer (MC PA-100, ~$5), and a Tridon 552 thermal flasher. I was initally concerned that current leakage thru the heater element in the flasher would trigger the buzzer, so I compared the Tridon with another brand with an insulated element- no problems. The buzzer uses 28 Milliamps to sound. However, I did find that plugging the completed unit into my upper flasher caused it to sound continually, along with interrupted beeping during turns. The lower position worked only during turns. Both postions have current present at the "L" prong, and ground on the "X" prong. A weak current will flow to ground even when the directional switch is off at both flasher locations- which activates the buzzer on the upper position, but not the lower- go figure! This particular fuse box has reverse current flow thru the flashers (hot should be "X", "L" is for load), which would kill an electronic flasher. (To be continued..)
    Attached Files

I really enjoy your projects and the depths to which you go in the explanations, MaineSS. Looking forward to this one too.

Comment

Originally posted by jstinson View Post
      i really enjoy your projects and the depths to which you go in the explanations, mainess. Looking forward to this one too.

+1
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Moving on with our story, the flasher prongs will be labeled "X" and "L", usually "X" is power in, "L" is load, or lamps, and the buzzer has a positive (red wire) and ground (black wire). You need to find out how your flasher socket is polarized before soldering the leads to the flasher, as the buzzer won't work if hooked up backwards, unlike a thermal flasher.

I took my Dremel and cut a channel thru the edge for the wires (pic#2). I also scratched up both prongs and tinned them with solder, and cut the wires to length (pic #3). (to be continued...)
        Attached Files

Comment

After soldering the wires to the prongs with a 40 watt iron, I applied a dab of 3M Weatherstrip/Gasket adhesive to the flasher top and buzzer bottom (pic #4), let the adhesive tack up, then pushed them together and let the assembly dry for 30 min (pic 5).

After the glue had set up, I wrapped the assembly with two layers of electrical tape (pic #6). (to be continued..)
          Attached Files

Comment

Since the buzzer was rather loud, I muffled it a bit with a dot of electrical tape over the center hole (pic #7). Now I can be reminded to cancel my signal without going deaf.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X