Poly 318 carb advice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly 318 carb advice ?

I was wondering if anyone had any carburetor advice for a 66 318 poly block ?

Im hoping Norm might see this as it seems he has alot of poly expertise.

I was planning on leaving the slant 6 , 2bbl in the town wagon but lately Ive been thinking about putting in a poly instead.

I have one bone stock 65 out of a W200 for parts and one very healthy , mildly built one out of a 66.

The built one had a 73 340 m/t thermoquad carb on it when I got it , on a very strange iron manifold.
    The manifold appears to be the original 2bbl with the top milled off and an couple of aluminum card adapters bolted on.
    It also has a Mopar Performance electronic ignition.

I rebuilt the TQ and used it on my 360 , hadnt planned on running the poly so i just stored it away.

Im looking for a good compromise between milage , pulling power and slow speed off-road driving.

Should I go 4bbl or swap intakes and run a good 2bbl ?
    Since the motor seems slightly hotter than a stock 318 Im leaning towards a larger than stock 2bbl , maybe off of a 383 ?

Any poly advice at all would be great , Ive never been around them.

I have a poly in my 64 Town Wagon and ran the stock 2 barrel. I thought a Weiand 4 barrel would be the hot ticket with an Edelbrock 1405 carb on top. I ran the 4 barrel set up for a while but that manifold is a single plane more suited for higher RPM's. I lost almost all low end torque so I went back to the two barrel and I can chirp tires into 3 gear. Not that that's a big deal but I feel more low end torque with the stock set up. The Weiand is the only after market 4 barrel manifold out there to my knowledge. I'm running 4:10 gears also. Norm is the poly 318 expert. I do know a set of headers and duals will wake things up too. See Norm about the headers. I made my own before he came out with his. An electronic ignition is a big plus too. I converted mine with a Pertronix and it starts everytime.

Comment

Thanks for the input Ron !
      I had a similar experience with a LA 318 .
      Was a great little motor , had a lumpy little RV cam and was balanced , real snappy for a 318 with a stock 2bbl.
      Later I tried half a dozen different manifold and 4bbl setups with the same basic results you had.
      None had the off idle pull like the trusty 2 and after 21 years of owning it the 2bbl is still on it .

I swapped a 4bbl onto a stock 383 with great results though.

Any advice on a good 2bbl to use ?

Comment

I think mine is a Stromberg WW but I can't say for sure. CRS sets in you know. I don't know about aftermarket 2 barrels I just know mine works. The Poly will put it's guts out all day long without a wimper. I don't have any big block experience but I would imagine a 4 barrel would help a 383. I ran a Thermoquad on the 360 in my first 4x4 truck, a 78 W 250. I had it on a factory 340 manifold with headers and full time four wheel. That was a puller to but it had trouble passing gas stations. I loved the sound of those huge secondaries opening up with the trap door factory air cleaner I got off a Charger. Ah the good old days huh?

Comment

Working...
        X