Dually question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dually question

Need advice from you all with knowledge of dually wheels.
    On the 1960 W500 Power Giant I acquired, I was looking at its wheels. The front wheels appear to be the stock 6 lug Budd with 9X20 tires.
    On the rear duals, one "outside" wheel appears to be a Budd, but on the other side the outside wheel appears to be a multipiece rim, with the center part that holds the two outslide parts together.
    Am I right to assume that this was not an original wheel?
    Are the wheels used in a dually application supposed to be the same, with the only difference being the bolts used to mount them to the hub?
    I have acquired the correct wrench to remove a dually, but have not tried it out yet.
    Dave

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
    On the 1960 W500 Power Giant I acquired, I was looking at its wheels. The front wheels appear to be the stock 6 lug Budd with 9X20 tires.
    On the rear duals, one "outside" wheel appears to be a Budd, but on the other side the outside wheel appears to be a multipiece rim, with the center part that holds the two outslide parts together.
    Are the wheels used in a dually application supposed to be the same, with the only difference being the bolts used to mount them to the hub?
    I have acquired the correct wrench to remove a dually, but have not tried it out yet.
    Dave
    Yes.

There were some W500's that had a different sort of front wheel, perhaps Dayton wheels. Can you post a photo of one of these wheels? Or are they still in place?

A Dayton wheel has a cast center and a steel rim, attached with rim clamps. They require truing at the time of mounting. Lots of them ran with runout, as the person mounting the wheel was not careful.

They are a pain, I prefer Budds. Many, many large trucks ran Daytons.

Go here

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=320033

....and see a beautiful photo of an early Dodge with Dayton wheels.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I think what you are describing is a three piece rim.I believe they were mostly found on IH's in the 50's and were quickly phased out as they are more notorious than split rims(just take one to a truck tire shop).Gordon was an IH truck tech back in the day maybe he can fill us in.

Comment

The ones I am familiar with used split rings that retained the tire on the separate rim. The rim was attached to the cast center using rim clamps attached with large nuts.

I don't believe they were any more dangerous to repair than our wheels, they were just annoying with respect to the truing. Also the assembly was heavier.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
          The ones I am familiar with used split rings that retained the tire on the separate rim. The rim was attached to the cast center using rim clamps attached with large nuts.

I don't believe they were any more dangerous to repair than our wheels, they were just annoying with respect to the truing. Also the assembly was heavier.
          Similar to the rear tire on a farm tractor minus the split ring part?That's not what I'm attempting(poorly)to describe.

Comment

Best I can tell, all 6 wheels on my W500 (and also my W600) are identical.
            They are 6 lug 8.75" spread Budd type.

Dayton type weren't used on W series, but yes D500 & up, plus L-series & some of the other med-heavy trucks.

Bucky

Comment

I will try and post some pictures soon, of both the front wheel and the ones in question in the back. Thank you for the helpful comments so far.

Comment

I think Dave is trying to describe a three piece Budd wheel as Ross Thinks.
                Gordon is thinking of an entire different wheel.
                All wheels should be the same regardless of duals.
                Only exception would be a larger truck were Budd wheels were on the front and wobblers(Dayton's) were on the rear.
                However if it is not a Budd Dave is referring too then someone changed out the hub and drum assembly for spoke(Dayton) wheel on one side.
                Unlikely but have seen stranger things.
                Need a Picture Dave!
                TGP
                WDX & Misc. Pics.
                http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                "47" Dodge WDX WW
                "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                "54" Willys M38A1
                "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                  Dave
                  Hi Dave. I cannot answer your question, but does your oddball wheel look like the one in this image? There were some WDX-WM300 model Power-Wagons that used these. Most have been found on trucks built in 1948. (I believe Troy Ingram is the resident expert on these.) I have also seen them on large heavy duty dock cranes - so I am not sure just how accurate the "light truck" description is. The outer ring is continuous. The intermediate ring is split. Once everything is together, the assembly appears VERY stable and should not be able to fly apart. It appears the continuous side ring would hold the split intermediate ring in position even when assembled loosely an not yet aired up.
                  Attached Files

Comment

odd ball rim

One other possibility is the type AR 3 piece rim. The 20" Budd rims I bought from Bryan Sage in '04 are like that. Those are the ones I put on my Carryall.
                    A good picture of the rim in question would probably produce the answer.
                    DavidGB

Comment

odd ball rim

This is a good picture (drawing) of the type AR I just mentioned.
                      http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wh...iece_wheel.jpg
                      DavidGB

Comment

Is the AR Type what they call a Split Rim?
                        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                        Will
                        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

This is not a reply to your question, but prompted by it. It has been my observation that wheels with split rings are all too commonly called split rims.

Comment

"split rim"

I believe the term split rim may apply to the Firestone type RH - 5 . In the picture, if you enlarge it and look into one of the openings in the center section you can just make out the seam where the two pieces interlock. The arrow is pointing to the identifying info stamped into this rim which is being used in a dually application it seems. I take no credit for this information which I have just found on the web.
                            http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wh.../splitrim2.JPG
                            DavidGB

Comment

Thanks, for the info.
                              I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                              Will
                              WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                              1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                              1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                              1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                              2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"