Club cab short bed 2wd to 4wd swap with crossover steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Had to get some paint on the bare metal but some gussets are in the works.

Comment

Where in SoCal are you? I am still waiting to get rained on. :)

Comment

Originally posted by USN78W150 View Post
          Where in SoCal are you? I am still waiting to get rained on. :)
          Oh I'm not in SoCal. I'm a NorCal native. Just reminded me of all the ford rangers with tall front ends I've seen down there visiting family :)

Comment

I got rained on. :) It started raining here about ten minutes after I sent the last reply.

Comment

So close to level!!!!

The back didnt get any taller but I pulled 2 leafs out of each front spring. Front sits a couple inches lower and rides much better now.

I may go back up later on when I do high steer.

--I'll either be swapping the 4" blocks out for 5" blocks ( least favorite option)
              ---Doing a shackle flip in the rear to add 6 inches and getting rid of the blocks completely!( most favorite option)
              ---Or drilling front spring mounts to move springs up an inch ( medium favorite option.)

Comment

Nice job!!!! I was wanting to go with cross over steering and was wondering how it steers compared to the old steering? I hear guys saying you have to change the pitman arm or you get bump steer because of the angle.

Comment

Originally posted by dodge05 View Post
                  Nice job!!!! I was wanting to go with cross over steering and was wondering how it steers compared to the old steering? I hear guys saying you have to change the pitman arm or you get bump steer because of the angle.
                  Ya pretty significant bump steer for me.

The draglink is at such a steep angle that a dropped pitman arm would help, but the only good fix in my opinion would be to do high steer.

My set up is totally drive able and I have manual steering with no stabilizer.

Comment

Comment

Dana 70 in

Got my Dana 70 out of a 92 cummins put in my truck.
                      I'm calling it my 5/8th ton truck.

Comment

Now to complete the 4x4 swap.

A 360 with a np4530 transmission and a no203 transfer case are being installed right now in my garage. the tranny has a forward facing pto on it and the transfer case has a rear facing pto. Cant wait to find a winch, or two.

This power train came from a 75 w300 fire truck that started its life in Pacifica, ca. on the coastline....body almost rusted away from the motor. still runs really good though.

Comment

You need to install a track bar or you will have a terrible death wobble. Installed properly it should have the same angle and roughly the same length as the drag link. It needs to be on the same plane as the drag link also or it will bump steer bad. Check a website called scarey steering,,you will laugh but also gain appreciation for good work. Furd didn't have one on their TTB front ends because the pivot end acted to prevent wobble. Check the front of an early to mid '90's F450 Super Duty,,track bar,,and when the bushings went bad they will shake violently.

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
                            You need to install a track bar or you will have a terrible death wobble. Installed properly it should have the same angle and roughly the same length as the drag link. It needs to be on the same plane as the drag link also or it will bump steer bad. Check a website called scarey steering,,you will laugh but also gain appreciation for good work. Furd didn't have one on their TTB front ends because the pivot end acted to prevent wobble. Check the front of an early to mid '90's F450 Super Duty,,track bar,,and when the bushings went bad they will shake violently.
                            I fully agree my set up is sub par... With that being said I have absolutely no death wobble and my bump steer is no worse than a stock 4x4 dodge set up with a front/back position draglink

I will be purchasing a high steer arm as soon as the bank account agrees. At that time I would live to add a track bar at the time I put on my power steering box.

Right now I'm distracted with a propane conversion :)

Comment

Working...
                            X