1983 Dodge Ram questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 Dodge Ram questions

I have a 1983 Dodge Ram D150 with a factory utiline bed. I need to do something with the seat. I was wondering what would be a good replacement seat that would fit easily and would be more comfortable, since I have arthritis in my back and that seat isn't the most comfortable.
    Also the truck has some really funky outside mirrors on it that just aren't very good for every day driving-they are like 5 inches wide and 8 inches high. is there someing out there that could be put on that I won't have to drill new holes in the doors? I am looking for larger and nicer mirrors.
    The truck has power windows and it is in need of new door panels, and I was wondering if anybody makes repops? if not what years would fit?
    Lastly the automatic trans lever is loose and the needle in the dash doesn't move. I was told that I needed to get a different steering column because because the shifter lever is all one piece with the steering column. Since the truck has cruise and it is on the turn signal lever, will any year up through 1993 fit or if not what years do fit.
    I am planning on taking this truck to the Iowa rally in June
    Thanks in advance for the help
    Tom

Tom, I thought someone would reply by now. I'm putting a seat from a 98 Dodge in a 75 Dodge crew cab. It's the same width but will need some fab work to bolt it down. I know you're limited on tools and space.

Mirrors, unless you go with the stainless factory arms with the larger mirrors I don't know of any heads the would work on yours. They would need three holes in the door with rivnuts which I have.

I don't know about the steering column and gear selector.

Sounds like a day trip to my shop to fix you up.

Comment

Sounds like You are in good hands here.
      Be carefull with mirrors.
      I had a 65 Chevy pickup with the west coast type mirrors,like the big trucks have but only smaller{LOL} and one day I was doing a left hand turn,a lady on a bicycle came across the intersection,I checked both ways three times,nothing,I started My left turn and just in the nick of time I seen this front bicycle wheel,I hit the brakes barely getting stopped in time,well,I had my window rolled down and apologized to Her,that lady was`nt so lady like when She spewed forth words that a welldriller would be embarrased to use.LOLOLOL
      Try and keep the top of the mirrors below eye level just to avoid the blind spots.

Comment

Ron,
        I like the idea of a day trip to your place.
        I appreciate your offer to help, as I have never done anything
        like this before.
        Is there a good junk yard near you?
        I am going to look into getting a steering column
        from the guy in the next town over, but I don't believe
        I would want to buy a seat from there.
        I would like a seat from the 94-01 Rams, as they look like they would be comfortable. I really like the 40-20-40 seats.
        The mirrors are already attached to the doors by three screws
        and the heads are attached by one bolt.
        I am guessing that I would be able to find larger mirror heads from any
        junk yard. I am also guessing that they are mostly universal.
        I am also going to need a new window motor for the passenger side.
        My truck is dark brown and has a tan interior. I am guessing that
        finding a seat will be easier than finding door panels because of it having power windows. It is a D150 Royal and so it is a pretty well
        equipped truck for its time has a/c and cruise plus a custom factory
        steering wheel. I do have a factory book that describes the options
        and colors, plus a factory parts and factory service manual.

Comment

Working...
        X