Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allison Automatic with a 5.9 Cummins; Possible??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allison Automatic with a 5.9 Cummins; Possible??

I am still looking at a solution to the recuring clutch problems on my 2002 Dodge 3500 flatbed.
    Is it possible to hook an Allison automatic up to the 5.9 Cummins. Seems like that might be one heck of a combination in my Dodge 3500 for trailer towing. The Allison's are stout and nearly industructable.
    Anyone done this, or seen it done?? to be honest, cost is not a deciding factor for me, if it would work like I think it could.
    Jeff

I believe that there is a section over on 4btswaps.com that addresses the cummins adaptation to the Allison. You are talking about the Allison 1000 5 speed or 6 speed correct? I don't believe that there is a stand alone controller out for the 6 speed yet but the 5 speed is out there. Pricey, but it exists. I am looking into putting one of these behind a 4bt myself. Try this link below and see if it helps you out.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...p-guide-thread

Here is a Bellhousing adapter for it.

http://howards-conversions-allison.c...ducts.php?id=3
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

RV's

Lotsa 6BTA Cummins with Allison trannies on motor homes for a lota years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
        I am still looking at a solution to the recuring clutch problems on my 2002 Dodge 3500 flatbed.
        Is it possible to hook an Allison automatic up to the 5.9 Cummins. Seems like that might be one heck of a combination in my Dodge 3500 for trailer towing. The Allison's are stout and nearly industructable.
        Anyone done this, or seen it done?? to be honest, cost is not a deciding factor for me, if it would work like I think it could.
        Jeff
        What happens to your clutches? Have you tried an aftermarket, heavier duty clutch?
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I am towing a trailer and the whole rig, truck, trailer, and load gross from 27,888 - 30,000. I have to do a good bit of backing up, both when loading, and when spotting the trailer to unload. The reverse gear in the 6 speed trans. is much too fast for any backup moves, unless you slip the clutch, or ease the clutch in and out constantly. This is causing clutch and flywheel wear/damage on a constant basis. It is not possible to do one of these backup moves without smelling burnt clutch.
          Changing to a lower geared rearend is not an option. I need the speed and fuel mileage of the current rearend for the over-the-road part of the haul.
          I thought an Allison automatic might just be an ideal solution. Just eliminate the clutch altogether.
          Jeff

Comment

Here is the thread where Jeff discusses his reverse gear issues.

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=13247

Would Gear Vendors have an Underdrive/Overdrive box that would work?

Bucky

Comment

The truck 2wd or 4wd? Even if its 2wd do you have enough drivetrain length to install a divorced transfer case? You wouldn't even have to use the front output to use the low range.
              1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Working...
              X