Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front springs

Hi
    Finished installing a polly 318 in my 61 M37 and the springs are just about straight. Do you feel that a new set is all I'll need or will I have to add additional leafs.
    Thanks for the help
    Ken

The factory spec is 5 1/2" arch for the front springs.
    Mine were flat on the first truck, and I took them to a spring shop and they re-arched them to 5 1/4, and the man said he should add an additional leaf to "hold" them at that spec, since the original steel is a bit fatigued over all this time.
    If the 318 is heavier than the stock flathead, you might want him to add two leaves to hold the setting.
    That is what I am doing on my 2nd truck, a M37 build where I am re-powering with a 4BT Cummins. This engine is heavier than the stock one, plus I am adding a winch.

Comment

Dave
      Is that 51/2" of arch installed or or stand alone?
      I was thinking about buying new springs from VPW because of where I live. I believe it would be cheaper then finding a shop. Right now even with a 2" block between the axle and spring I only have 2" of clearance from the Diff. and the oil pan.

Comment

Actually the correct figure is 5 and 1/4".
        I am not sure if that figure is for off the vehicle or installed. I do know that when the springs are "right" the shackle is just about vertical.
        I know mine were flat when I got the truck and the shackles were at an angle.
        If you live far from a spring place, then NOS is worth considering, actually I thought of doing that too. Have not decided for sure. Will be talking to VPW soon about that.

Comment

springs

Ken, the springs in my m37 were pretty shot, I ordered a set of nos front springs from vpw, they have nice ones and cheaper ones which have some surface rust but still brand new. I took the nos springs to a spring shop and had two leaves added. in comparison to the worn out stockers the truck is now around 3 or 3 1/2 inches higher. I also lifted the back with some used m43 springs. have you considered modifying your oil pan or getting one with a different sump?

Comment

Matthew
            Changing the oil pan would be to big of a project. I think I'll get a set of nos springs from VPW on see what the do and if needed I'll add leafs which I hope I wont have to do.
            Thanks for the help guys.
            Ken

Comment

Working...
            X