Steering Wheel Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel Size

Here is something I have been thinking about, probably way too soon but its still something that will need to be addressed in my build.

Those of you that have done steering upgrades, or engine upgrades and drive your trucks at a little more speed, what have you done steering wheel and Steering column wise? I can't really decide if I just want to go with an aftermarket Column, or if I want to try and recreate the original column look and go with a large original steering wheel... Obviously an aftermarket Column will be better for long trips with a touch more adjustability but at the same time I haven't decided how much modification I want to do to the interior of this thing. It already has Vintage A/C stuffed into it, so that will stay, but at the same time I am trying to keep the appearance of the truck as close to stock as I can, and the more I have it, and the more I hang around the stock rebuild guys, the less I want to "change" things. My question is, by running a large diameter steering wheel, is it going to be a burden to drive? I was planning cross over steering of some sort and relocating the box and running a power box with an additional assist ram.

Thoughts?
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Not that I'm there either but I'm at the other end of the spectrum on this one. I want the look and feel on the outside, but inside the cab I'm all about comfort and convenience.

The lack of self-canceling turn signals is enough to convince me to go aftermarket. Adjustability and added safety are just bonuses. I will admit that while I haven't looked very seriously I have yet to find a steering wheel that looks right to me.

I will say that my Desoto is from the time when power steering was becoming common and big steering wheels were still the norm and it's kind of weird to drive. The level of assist along with a big wheel makes the steering feel numb and makes you look like you're in one of those old movies where they were sawing at the wheel just driving straight.

Comment

I did the Snake River power steering conversion and then used the steering column out of a '65 Dodge D100 pickup. It has a minimalistic look, but incorporates the self canceling turn signals. Haven't got it on the road yet so I can't comment on the big wheel/power steering situation yet.

Comment

I still run the stock steering wheel. Granted it might look a little big for having PS, but when I need the extra leverage for my off road antics it's nice to have, that is until I bang my left funny bone on the inside of the door while turning fast.
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

[QUOTE=Desoto61;97709]Not that I'm there either but I'm at the other end of the spectrum on this one. I want the look and feel on the outside, but inside the cab I'm all about comfort and convenience.

I'm with Desoto on this one. I am in the middle of this and my Flaming River column and 14 3/4" wood Grant sterring wheel came in today. I've driven many older trucks and owned a few. Liked the look, put up with the drive.

Can't wait to enjoy both looking and driving my truck in a few months!

Comment

Working...
          X