413 6.8l v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 413 6.8l v8

Any body know any thing about the 413 mopar engine like maybe the length of the engine and has any one ever put one in a flat fender power wagon

I have one in my Desoto. It was Chryslers biggest engine for a short time in the early 60s before the 426W and 440 came out. It saw a lot of use in motor homes and the like.

Dimension wise it should be basically the same as any other Chrysler big block.

I seem to remember someone doing a BB V8 swap but couldn't point you at anything specific. Anything can be made to fit with enough time, effort, and money. It would probably be easier than making the 6BT fit in one.

My biggest concern would be that the engine could easily overwhelm the rest of the drivetrain without some careful thought and upgrades.

Comment

There are two versions, a car and light truck version, as well as a heavy truck version. The latter has different heads, intake manifold, timing cover, to list some major ones. Other folks may be along to list others.

I find a nostalgic charm in the 413; it would be a great engine to use in a conversion.

How a person intended to use a truck would have a lot of bearing on whether other drive train modifications were necessary.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Jw

I was just asking cause the person I bought my 54. Power wagon from already put one in there but it's not running at the moment wouldnt a 383 fit in there? And u said there at different kinds of them mines stamed MR 413 can anyone tell me wat the MR stands for ?

Comment

As far as I can tell that means it is a 1959 RB (raised deck B block) 413. An RB 383 would be essentially the same in dimensions being based on the same block. There was a B series 383, while it's similar in dimensions there are a lot of differences too.

Plenty of info on the similarities and differences can be found with a google search.

Comment

Watch the exhaust manifolds...

I think the 413 and 383 share the same pattern but the 440-426 are different...confirm it if you buy exhaust .

Here is a link to a web site with a ton of info...

http://www.440source.com/

Scroll down and click on "Informational Pages". They have reference material including casting and serial numbers. The site is mainly dedicated to the 440's but it addresses all B & RB engines.

DP

Comment

383,440 n 413 are all the same block different bore n stroke

Comment

The Mopar family of big block engines are 2 different block sizes. The smaller "B" series are the 361, 383, 413, and 400 cubic inch engines. The 413, 426, 426 Hemi, and 440 are the "RB" series. This is referred to as a "Raised Block". There are a lot of common parts between the 2 groups. The two big things that dont fit both are the intake manifolds and the distributors. This is because of the raised deck height on the RB block. The good is that the heads and other things do interchange. As noted earlier about the 413 engine there is an industrial-commercial version that has an odd timing cover and water pump setup. I think the basic block is the same and suppose the standard setup would work.

Comment

Working...
                X