5.7 hemi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.7 hemi

Just picked up a 5.7 to put in my wc 12. Truck currently has a Chevy 350 and auto transmission sitting between the fram rails. The truck is not currently running. I am in over my head. Any ideas for a manual transmission. What is the easiest way to wire it up. Should I keep the EFI and buy a stand alone computer, or switch to a carb. Some help please.

That engine was not designed for a carb, so you'll have computers either way since there is no provisions for a distributor. I think keeping the injection is preferable from a performance and drive-ability standpoint, but that does mean some other changes, such as upgrading the fuel system. Painless may have a harness for the engine, and someone like Diablo would probably be able to reprogram the computer.

As for a manual transmission, probably have to see if/what Dodge put behind them in the trucks. Barring that you'd have to look for an adapter setup.

Comment

I believe Arrington now makes a front cover for these engines that allows you to run a distributor off the timing drive. It is not a cheap part but it should allow you to completely do away with the computer if you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S View Post
        I believe Arrington now makes a front cover for these engines that allows you to run a distributor off the timing drive. It is not a cheap part but it should allow you to completely do away with the computer if you wish.
        Gordon likes this.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Seems like bolting a propeller onto the front of a jet engine.

Comment

Propeller on jet engine

DeSoto, I really like that line of yours! Of course, it has been done in the aircraft test industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
              Seems like bolting a propeller onto the front of a jet engine.
              Don't they call that a"Turbo-Prop" ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by KLEMM View Post
                Just picked up a 5.7 to put in my wc 12. Truck currently has a Chevy 350 and auto transmission sitting between the fram rails. The truck is not currently running. I am in over my head. Any ideas for a manual transmission. What is the easiest way to wire it up. Should I keep the EFI and buy a stand alone computer, or switch to a carb. Some help please.
                If you do a search for aftermarket throttle body kits or just peruse the Summit racing catalogue, you'll find some decent, if a bit pricey alternatives to throwing a carb on that engine. I've seen it done, but nobody I've talked to was happy with the result.

Comment

stay with the efi

that hemi is one of the most supported swaps. buy a harness and make it happen.

Comment

Working...
                  X