No announcement yet.

De-mousing a cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just popped a rattler the other day, and what a great pleasure it was! I have no use for them whatsoever and they are a considerable danger to anyone, especially elderly, ill, or children, plus livestock. Once saw a cow that had been hit by a rattler and the poor old critter was skin and bones for the rest of its life!

There's all sorts of rattlers and several are indeed very aggressive and don't play by the rules at all. The one I just shot was under the next log in a wood pile, but I was warned in advance. No, not by the snake as it couldn't rattle, having only 1 button on its tail. The warning came from Elsewhere, so I went and got a pistol before moving the next log, and then when I did there he was, all coiled and silently waiting. Almost invisible for his perfect coloration, and big enough to make a nice hatband when the skin dries out :~ )

The Mohave rattlers are the worst of all! They have 2 venoms unlike any other snake, one paralyzes respiratory, and the other the nervous system. They are the deadliest of all rattlers and if you're struck you have BIG trouble even if a hospital is close. They come in white, green, red, black [most agressive] and 'coon tail', which has rings around its tail like a racoon. They do not often rattle, and prefer to remain quietly waiting for prey to get close. Rattlers have very poor vision and instead sense body heat or movement. That means they're indiscriminate in what they strike at. In general they strike at the heat source and then see if they can swallow it. Their jaws can unhinge and they can swallow a fairly large animal, such as a rabbit. My father reported seeing just this one day at the ranch.

The Mohave are very well known to chase after animals, including humans, and I'm one who has been chased on two occassions. Believe me they're plenty fast enough to raise the blood pressure considerably and it gets complicated dodging cactus and stumbling over rocks with death on your heels!

Timber rattlers? Yeah, up to 9' in the Pacific Northwest and a whole lot of trouble there. A herpetologist went back to Georgia area to research rattlers and in his studies found some interesting trivia. The most common reported medical complication to a Georgia Timber Rattler bite in a human is a BROKEN LEG! Talk about a bad day? When 9 to 10 feet of rattler strikes, they strike REAL HARD, being up to 8 or 9 inches in diameter if not more!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      My first Power Wagon became a multiple family dwelling for mice, and has been that way for some years. It smells of mice, as you can imagine.

I am thinking that the seat just has to go, but even with that, it will be quite a project to make it inhabitable. My significant other is particularly fond of the truck in question, and I think I should pursue her fascination.

I am wondering what experience you have had in performing this task. I learn that ozone generators can make a huge difference, so that may be one thing that I try.

Discuss....
      Gordon,
      In spite of the advice given here, ABSOLUTELY do not mask the scent with odor trees or other scent maskers. The scent must be removed. because of the deadly danger of hantavirus you must be sure that ALL feces, urine, scent, dust is removed, that means re-upholstery, Lysol or other cleaners to remove all tracers of the bacteria, shop vacuuming* all areas, taking apart parts of the dash that you cannot reach, etc. This is not a problem to be covered by a band-aide and a scent stick, the rodent(s) must be removed along with all rodent accessories. I had several living in the seat and heater after the truck sat for 14 years, it wasn't easy, pretty or desirable but it had to be performed for safety and general health. Hundreds if not thousands are infected every year from the virus, many unknowingly.
      *wear a respirator, airborne dust is the largest known vehicle to spread the disease.
      http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehsphl/factsheet/hanta.htm

Comment

Gordon, Julz and all

I had a bull snake I kept as a pet (in a box I built) when I was about 13-14. He/she (hard to tell them apart) was amazing at killing mice. A constrictor, they coil around and asphixiate the mice and rats.
        The only snakes I kill are the poisonous ones; hopefully between the bull snake and your other measures the problem will lessen.
        Mice are similar to other critters in this way...they need food and habitat.
        If you don't have any "food" there, and you make their habitat unhospitable (dryer sheets, snakes etc) they shouldn't be too bad.
        I have always opted for the old fashioned mouse traps as an additional method of getting the mice. THe mouse poison/bait is not only very poisonous to the mice, if the mouse dies a dog or cat can get secondarily poisoned by the dead mouse- if it eats it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
          I had a bull snake I kept as a pet (in a box I built) when I was about 13-14. He/she (hard to tell them apart) was amazing at killing mice. A constrictor, they coil around and asphixiate the mice and rats.
          The only snakes I kill are the poisonous ones; hopefully between the bull snake and your other measures the problem will lessen.
          Mice are similar to other critters in this way...they need food and habitat.
          If you don't have any "food" there, and you make their habitat unhospitable (dryer sheets, snakes etc) they shouldn't be too bad.
          I have always opted for the old fashioned mouse traps as an additional method of getting the mice. THe mouse poison/bait is not only very poisonous to the mice, if the mouse dies a dog or cat can get secondarily poisoned by the dead mouse- if it eats it.
          The odd thing is that there is no food in my buildings for mice, but they want in anyway. I have put out bait packets and bait chunks in the buildings. Your remarks remind me that when I get a new dog I will need to be absolutely certain to get all of that stuff picked up. Thank you for the reminder.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Okay, now the mouse situation has been addressed, anyone have a way to get rid of (without killin) a prarie dog? We don't mind him (her?) around, but lately, it has taken up residence under our front deck. It then seems to stick it's head out from between the stairs as ya try and leave. It stares up at you then hisses. Scares the, well you know what, outa the Mrs. Moth balls don't work, it just moves em.

Later
            Ugg

Comment

Do you have any small rodent pets such as hamsters, etc?
              If not, then you can find an ultrasonic repellent.
              5 years ago my place in the mts. was overrun with rodents, I picked up several ultrasonic plug in repellents made by Vermin-X, it was like the Pied Piper in reverse, they all split and haven't been back in all that time. I notice no ill effects and they are safe for larger pets.
              They work great and are still working, but I think that the company fell off the face of the earth (must have repelled themselves???)
              http://products.ebuyw.com/Product/Mi...20REPELLER.php

Comment

Originally posted by Ugg013 View Post
                Okay, now the mouse situation has been addressed, anyone have a way to get rid of (without killin) a prarie dog? We don't mind him (her?) around, but lately, it has taken up residence under our front deck. It then seems to stick it's head out from between the stairs as ya try and leave. It stares up at you then hisses. Scares the, well you know what, outa the Mrs. Moth balls don't work, it just moves em.

Later
                Ugg
                Borrow a live trap somewhere and catch the prairie dog; turn it loose somewhere better suited for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                  Borrow a live trap somewhere and catch the prairie dog; turn it loose somewhere better suited for it.
                  If you bait a live trap you can catch individual prairie dogs, but I'd be concerned about the distinct possibility of several burrowed in the yard. I had a huge town of them at the old place and after trapping a few, still had a problem. I finally ran the disc over the entire property, disrupting their environment and they moved on.

Comment

Thanks Mopar Norm And Ugg

never had nor have i ever seen a prarie dog.since you guys have gotten rid of them in your area,they have decided to take up residence here. so expect a package soon from maine. steve from prarie dog haven

Comment

When I was a kid, spending much time at the farm of my friend Larry, they had fascination with all kinds of wildlife. They did their own bit of injured animal rescue, including raccoons, hawks, snakes, and so on.

They liked the Black Hills and prairie dogs, so one year while out there camping they took a live trap and brought back about a half dozen of them.

An initial encampment was established, a large cage that had the wire buried to some depth below grade. After a while, however, the creatures dug deep enough to get out of it, then establishing a large prairie dog town that was there for at least ten years or more. The farm cats would, in entertaining fashion, stalk the prairie dogs until the prairie dog in question had enough of it and then chased the cat across the open terrain.

They were a lot of fun to watch. Their only natural predotor of note was the farm dog present, but they did not seem to have much trouble avoiding him, either, much to his frustration. I have fond memories of prairie dogs, and although I am a life member of the NRA and a pretty avid shooter, I don't care for the common practice of shooting prairie dogs.

Comment

Well I just have to share this as it's germaine to the thread. As most of you know I recently moved out of my house into a large travel trailer, tucked away in the mountains. Lots of wildlife here [not me] and that includes mice.

A broken exterior plastic cover under the shower drain allowed an entry point, and a mouse soon took advantage. 'Trails' in the kitchen, and I could hear it scurrying around frequently. Then it escalated, and I was awakened a couple of nights with loud clattering, things knocked off the counters etc. ENOUGH! Problem: no mouse traps and town a long ways away, and down to pennies because of moving expenses.

I had observed the mouse's habits, of coming out from a little hole under a cabinet, racing across the open floor and disappearing under another panel about 6' away. I got a piece of plywood and placed it strategically, cleared the area, and also set a small discarded plastic trash can in another area. I waited patiently as I sat here cruising the net.

Heard noises, not aliens, and prepared, putting on a set of ear muffs. In a few minutes, out came Ms. Mouse, and WHAMMO! .22 CCI Mini-Mag Shotshell from my pistol sent her to the mousie promised land! No more meece's feces, peace and quiet, little collateral damage and no Hanta Virus. Sometimes it's nice to be a single and sleazy trailer-trash batchelor! :~ )

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD View Post
                          Well I just have to share this as it's germaine to the thread. As most of you know I recently moved out of my house into a large travel trailer, tucked away in the mountains. Lots of wildlife here [not me] and that includes mice.

A broken exterior plastic cover under the shower drain allowed an entry point, and a mouse soon took advantage. 'Trails' in the kitchen, and I could hear it scurrying around frequently. Then it escalated, and I was awakened a couple of nights with loud clattering, things knocked off the counters etc. ENOUGH! Problem: no mouse traps and town a long ways away, and down to pennies because of moving expenses.

I had observed the mouse's habits, of coming out from a little hole under a cabinet, racing across the open floor and disappearing under another panel about 6' away. I got a piece of plywood and placed it strategically, cleared the area, and also set a small discarded plastic trash can in another area. I waited patiently as I sat here cruising the net.

Heard noises, not aliens, and prepared, putting on a set of ear muffs. In a few minutes, out came Ms. Mouse, and WHAMMO! .22 CCI Mini-Mag Shotshell from my pistol sent her to the mousie promised land! No more meece's feces, peace and quiet, little collateral damage and no Hanta Virus. Sometimes it's nice to be a single and sleazy trailer-trash batchelor! :~ )
                          Jimmie, That is HILARIOUS! On my days off, Momma's gone to work and Colt's gone to school leaving me home alone to make my own decisions. Momma considers it a dangerous scenario and thinks I need adult supervision. I'll ask her if you can come over and play.

Comment

LOL!

Ha haha, what a scenario, Kevin. "Okay, mommy's gone, let's...." We could have some real fun, I'm sure! :~ )

Comment

Hey Jimmi

sounds like a lot of fun. i have a few days off from work and i think i will load up the townie with all sorts of impliments of destruction and head to cal and shoot some mouses and maybe if iam lucky get a rattle snake, see you in a few hours steve from western maine

Comment

Gordon, I have to ask. Is this why the inside of your truck smells so good?

Comment

Working...
                                X