De-mousing a cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ugg

and just what are you feeding the yellow jackets with. i read somewhere a long time ago that they are meateaters, so be careful. steve from western maine.oh yea up here we only feed bumble bees

Comment

yellowjacks nest

Had some yellowjacks build an underground nest in some juniper bushes .The bush was like an airport with constant arrivals and depatures. Get anywhere near it with a running lawnmower and your running a 2 min mile. I couldn't get a clean shot at the nest with one of those 25 foot jet bomb sprays because of the dense bush branches. Oldtimer down the road said "roll a egg under the bush at nite, skunks or racoons will be drawn to the egg and will take care of the nest". Four days later it looked like a small battlefield, dirt, mulch,old oakleaves and bits of hive scattered across the lawn.
      critters 1 yellowjacks o

Comment

Now that's cool!

Comment

Norm:

Yeah, I'm aware, just havin some fun. Now don't be gettin serious on me. ;>) Ambiance IS a much better word for it. I'm in paint mode now, so I guess that's why I said patina, not to be confused with MoPar Tina. HA!

Steve:

In answer to your question, ME!

74w300uteline:

I gotta remember that. You guys remember that masacree of mine digging up that hive that was probably growin for 10 years? It took 2 days and a couple of cases of wasp spray to get my back hoe back, not to mention the bathroom problems I had (I was wearin shorts when I DISCOVERED the hive). OUCH!

Later
          Ugg

Comment

Uggy!
            Now don't be taking my funnin as seriousness .....= )
            Unless you're inhaling that rodent perfume....

Comment

Hey, Old Dodge, missed your post, off the forum for a few. No, I wouldn't use ultrasonic on a swamp kitty, or a .22 CCI Shotshell either. Maybe a 20ga? Throwing slugs ha haha!

Hey, Norm, that anti-salesman ultrasonic device is readily available. It's called a Taser..... :~ )

Comment

Where have you been Jim? Did you go to town for a few days? It's fun to go in and meet the Stage Coach and see Miss Kitty and Doc.

Comment

Weeeelll, been working on lots of projects! Putting the final touches on the saucer landing pad.

Bad news on the Doc/Miss Kitty/Stage Coach thing. Doc's been on a toot again for the last 2 weeks, stumbling around town doing the brown bag thing sucking on bottles of Mad Dog 20-20 all day, Miss Kitty ran off with the bearded lady from a traveling circus who was actually the 'World's Strongest Man' weight lifter in drag, and the town council decided to slam the Stage Coach with some big shiny chrome 21" spokies and pull it with pygmy goats instead of Percherons as a cost cutting measure due to the exorbitant price of oat hay and grain.

Mouse-wise all is well, no further intrusions. I guees the word got out in the rodent community....?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney
                    Initially, get the smell out. Then, keep the little buggers out. I even have problems on occasion in my shop in my tool cabinet drawers. I have been putting mouse bait packages out there in the last six months and I am discovering mice that have passed their time, resting peacefully on the floor.
                    Gordon, a few stategically placed felines may just do the trick. Cats do a great job of keeping the mice population down.

Originally posted by Gordon Maney
                    Julie and I actually discovered a snake in my shop last weekend. That is the second snake I have seen in there since 1978.
                    Over the past 20 plus years I have killed several snakes on our property. The majority of them being copperheads and just a few cottonmouths. There have been many other snakes (non poisonious) here, but I let them be. While my kids were young (after the incident dscribed below) I educated them on how to tell the difference between a poisonous one and a non poisonous one. I think they were educated because no one was ever hurt.

Several years back (before I had cats) my very young son of about 3 years was playing in the barn with our female lab. My son was reaching for something just under the old ford tractor when the lab stepped right in front of him and then went to barking like crazy. Thankfully, my wife at the time was nearby and pulled him away. My eldest son of about 11 was yelling "DAD, SNAKE!!!". I was up near the house working on something and went into inside to get the pistol. It didn't take very long to get to the barn and found that everyone was a safe distance from the tractor and snake. The old lab was still holding her ground though. I called the lab off and got closer to see what kind of snake it was. There it was, one big cotton mouth and really upset. The snake was backed into a corner all by itself. A single shot from the .22 and it was all over. Let's just say, the whole family had a talk that night and the old lab was rewarded well. Since that time, I have had cats in this barn and have never had a problem with snakes nor any other critter.

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                      Had some yellowjacks build an underground nest in some juniper bushes .The bush was like an airport with constant arrivals and depatures. Get anywhere near it with a running lawnmower and your running a 2 min mile. I couldn't get a clean shot at the nest with one of those 25 foot jet bomb sprays because of the dense bush branches. Oldtimer down the road said "roll a egg under the bush at nite, skunks or racoons will be drawn to the egg and will take care of the nest". Four days later it looked like a small battlefield, dirt, mulch,old oakleaves and bits of hive scattered across the lawn.
                      critters 1 yellowjacks o
                      I am dealing with these darn critters right now, I gotta try this. A dryer sheet brought this thread back, good thing for me, huh?

Comment

Working...
                      X