Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message to Frank Irons

Hi
    This message is to Frank Irons on the u-joints that you used from Borgenson for you power steering hook up. Do you know which part no.s you used? I have the same steering box and it is for a 1961 M37.
    Thanks for the help.
    Ken

Your best bet may be to call Borgeson at (860) 482-8283 and discuss your needs with one of the techs- I've found Romeo to be very helpful in getting my Toyota box to FMC Postal Jeep hybrid power steering conversion for my '49 FF PW sorted out. The Saginaw box looks like a 13/16" dia input shaft x 36 spline- hard to tell on the splines because there's a 3/8" wide flat. The PW steering shaft is ~7/8" dia- you'd have to turn it down to 3/4", because Borgeson only goes to 3/4", according to what I see on www.borgeson.com . Their single joints retail around $80 in plain steel for the needle bearing type- which is what you want for over-the -road usage. If you have a good PW steering box, I'd think twice about cutting it up- they're getting quite rare and pricey now. The column from a 1974-5 FMC Postal Jeep is just the right length, comes with a self-cancelling turn signal, and the 3-spoke steering wheel is the same dia as the PW. It can be modified to take the PW wheel with machine work. Shaft dia/spline count is 3/4 x 36.

Comment

Frank
      Thanks for the help.
      Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Kenneth Cole View Post
        Hi
        This message is to Frank Irons on the u-joints that you used from Borgenson for you power steering hook up. Do you know which part no.s you used? I have the same steering box and it is for a 1961 M37.
        Thanks for the help.
        Ken
        Kenneth,

I used Borgeson U1N-736x730 for the steering gear coupled with a 36 spline shaft to the firewall. The firewall joint is a U1N-736x736. The Dodge Saginaw steering box I used is 30 spline. I made a custom shaft for the firewall to the steering wheel on which I machined 36 splines to accept the firewall joint.

Frank

Comment

Sorry about the OT here...just joined. Hey Frank, I am pretty good friends with the guys at Stone Bank Auto on Hwy C. Small world, I've heard some neat stories about you when I was growing up!

Again, sorry about the OT

Jeremiah

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiah View Post
            Sorry about the OT here...just joined. Hey Frank, I am pretty good friends with the guys at Stone Bank Auto on Hwy C. Small world, I've heard some neat stories about you when I was growing up!

Again, sorry about the OT

Jeremiah
            Wow it is a small world! I live about 4 miles from Stone Bank. Yeah I bet you did hear some stories from those guys. I did have some nice vehicles over the years.

Frank

Comment

While Your Here

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
              Wow it is a small world! I live about 4 miles from Stone Bank. Yeah I bet you did hear some stories from those guys. I did have some nice vehicles over the years.

Frank
              Hey Frank,
              Maybe you could show the folks your hanging pedal conversion, that is one sweet set-up!
              Happy Turkey Day Everyone,

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                Hey Frank,
                Maybe you could show the folks your hanging pedal conversion, that is one sweet set-up!
                Happy Turkey Day Everyone,
                I would Bruce but I seem to have deleted that image in one of my "what am I saving that for?" moments. Basically it is two pcs of 2" square tube siamesed together. Bushings are welded in for the top of the pedal arms and plates are welded on each end to add support and reinforcement between the dash and firewall. A new steering column was fabricated with tapered Timken bearings and a new 4140 HT shaft made with splines cut for the Borgesen u joint. The hanging pedal bracket supports the steering column and braces it to the firewall. The firewall plate on the bracket provides a mount for two master cylinders.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Frank

Comment

Seems like a good time to plug the 13,000 plus photo, DTA Photo Albums...again....= )
                  Frank, I throw nothing away! (...well, except the stuff I need the next day.....)

Comment

Thanks

Norm to 'da rescue! How are you feeling, better everyday I hope?

Comment

Ha!
                      A little better, the pain is all gone...finally after 4 months! I'm still blind in the one eye, another surgery next week, so I'm just bide'n my time and trying to figure out if Tina will miss all of the pumpkin pie when she gets home from work...ha! ha!

Comment

Good Luck W/ Yours

I'm having surgery next week also, inguinal hernia, it's been giving me a fit for quite some time now.

Comment

[QUOTE=MoparNorm;75348]Seems like a good time to plug the 13,000 plus photo, DTA Photo Albums...again....= )
                          Frank, I throw nothing away! (...well, except the stuff I need the next day.....)

Norm, you're the man! Thank you for posting the photo, and I hope you are feeling better.

Frank

Comment

Thanks Frank!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                              I'm having surgery next week also, inguinal hernia, it's been giving me a fit for quite some time now.
                              I don't know if I want to hang out with a bunch of guys who spend more time at the hospital than on the trail...ha!ha!ha!

Hope it works out OK for ya!

Comment

Working...
                              X