chevy knuckles on a dodge 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chevy knuckles on a dodge 44

i have a dana 44 in my W200 and i have a set of drilled and tapped chevy dana 44 knuckles. my question is without just tearing them apart to check, does anyone know if they will be interchangable? or they are not i wonder if i can drill and tap my dodge knuckles and use chevy dana 44 cross-over steering.

i know a dana is a dana but not always lol (if that made sense)

Yep. I put Chevy Dana 44 flat top knuckles onto an AMC Dana 44 front end (Wagoneer) to give me the high steer option as they have the same ball joints. BTW: Not all open GM Dana 44 knuckles have flat tops - at some point (1984?) one side (I forget) on the 1/2 tons changed to a non-flat top. Then I swapped on Ford hubs/spindles onto the Chev Dana 44 knuckles to get the 5 x 5.5" bolt pattern for the wife's AMC CJ7.

The Jeep is a real American Motors vehicle - a mix of AMC, ford, Mopar, and Chevy.

Comment

I would be very interested to head about how this swap worked out. Would these knuckles work on my '65 or '70 W100's?

Comment

The Dana 44 does not care what vehicle it was placed in. You mght luck out with a bolt in - or modify it to work. Parts are pleantiful and inexpensive. It is not as complicated as you might think. Google D44 swaps for Broncos/Jeeps/Scouts/Wagoneers to learn a bit about them. Your pre-1974 Dodge should have closed knuckles which wil not use flattop knuckles unless you replace the axle tube ends - easier to just swap in a whole front end instead IMHO. My previous posts were regarding D44's with the later open knuckle spindles.

Comment

Thank you for the info, I'll take a look at the post. I was curious if I would need to swap the 44 to a later open-knuckle version. While the drums are cool I'd like to step up to discs sometime in the future.

Comment

Working...
          X