413 440 crankshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 413 440 crankshaft

Is there any difference between a 413 truck engine and a 440 motorhome engine? As far the crank goes motorhome is an automatic truck is a 5 spd both 6 hole

Definitely maybe.

All 413 engines are internally balanced. All 440's until 1974 (mostly sure this was the change over), except the 6-pack HP engines, were internally balanced. The later 1974-78 440's were externally balanced. Some HD truck big blocks continued to use the 8 bolt crank flange (like the 426 hemi had) to the trans without an offset bolt hole.

While the RB crankshafts have the same dimensions, you will obviously need to rebalance the engine if the crank is swapped as the pistons were not the same weight between 413-440 and doing so would cause a serious balance problem.

Comment

What are you putting the engine in front of? The auto tranny 440 probably does NOT have the pilot bearing hole drilled out. That was Dodge's way of saving 1/2 cent per engine.

Comment

Crank shaft off set

Is the off set different from a stick to an automatic
        what i want to do is remove the 361 and put in a 440 using the 413 crank, heads and industrial water pump ( need to find a 413 industrial though or steel crank 440 ) thats rocky

Comment

The off-set hole mentioned is in reference to the flex plate. The end of the crank is drilled to accept an 8 or 6 not both. The pilot bearing hole is the real problem though.

Comment

Mopar makes a universal pilot bearing for unreamed a/t cranks to use with a std trans- it runs under $30. Do a Web search. I have he part number and photo of it on my work computer Monday if you can't find the info for some reason.

Comment

If I'm following this correctly the crank that is to be used is a truck (industrial) 413 crank that originally came with a 5-speed. So it has the pilot bushing hole.The heads and water pump are from the industrial 413 also. The block is a 440. All of this is going where a 361 once resided, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                If I'm following this correctly the crank that is to be used is a truck (industrial) 413 crank that originally came with a 5-speed. So it has the pilot bushing hole.The heads and water pump are from the industrial 413 also. The block is a 440. All of this is going where a 361 once resided, correct?
                If so, this will make a backyard 400???

Comment

FYI: The longer stroke RB crank (odd ball early 383, and all 414, 426, 440) does not just drop into a B block (361, nearly all 383, and all 400s). If possible, such a use would cost major $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for machining and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                    If so, this will make a backyard 400???
                    No I think it'd be a backyard 440..Its my understanding that a 413 crank & a 440 crank have the same stroke. So nothing's gained/lost displacement wise.

Comment

440 block 413 crank

I'm going to use a 440 block, 413 crank, 413 water pump and heads 5 spd thats what i got in mind is it going to work?

Comment

Unless there's some difference between your 413 crank and a 440 crank that I'm not aware of, Yes it should work. The crank was originally connected to the 5speed you are using so you know it fits there. As far as putting a 440 block where a 361 once was, the only issue is the 440 has a taller deck height (about 1") & is a tad wider at the top. This usually only is a problem in cars or if your wanting to use the original exhaust. Sometimes that extra 1" is to far to stretch things. Unless I'm missing something, go for it.

Comment

440 industrial

nope there is plenty of room I'm putting it in that w 500 decided to keep it rocky

Comment

The crank should fit OK but I would be afraid of the engine balance being off. Are you leaving the 440 pistons and rods in and just switching cranks? If the 440 is a good running engine then I would switch the external stuff like your water pump and exhaust manifolds and go with the pilot bearing adapter as mentioned before.

Comment

Originally posted by SHAMROCK View Post
                              nope there is plenty of room I'm putting it in that w 500 decided to keep it rocky
                              That's my dream truck! A 440 powered W500! I'm envious of you.

Comment

Working...
                              X