Slick new toys to make life easier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slick new toys to make life easier

I was at my local discount tool place the other day and he has a large lineup of Lisle tools. I spotted a bearing packer in the mix and decided to give it a try. Since I'm doing a brake job I had to pack the front bearings on this 58 W200. The grease packer is a simple round cylinder in which you put grease in the bottom. Then place a plunger with a one way flapper valve in next. You drop your bearing with the taper down and push it down with a cone shaped plunger. The grease comes up from the bottom and forces the old grease out with new grease. It works WAY to easy for packing a roller bearing. I'll never pack one by hand again. I also picked up a 2 1/2" six point socket to remove and replace the axle nuts on the Dana 44. I had to grind the outer corners a bit to clear the hub and it works much better than the old hammer and chisel method. Always trying to work smarter , not harder.

Ron,

I was thinking of picking up a bearing packer tomorrow when I make my parts run, as I have 3 hubs (6 bearings) to pack, and I got good at doing it by hand but the right tools do make things a lot easier.

When I pulled the Hubs of the 46 (red) PW I had a little difficulty, and the socket would not go on all the way as the previous mechanic had used the hammer and chisel. The nuts are now clear and ready to go back on wit the burs removed.

Will
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

This one is the hot ticket as far as I'm concerned. Hope this link works http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=559 . It works so smooth with just one push. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. I'm thinking of doing a trail ride at Redbird OHV park in Indiana which should be a short hop for you. I'll let you know, thinking late Sept/early Oct. Trying to get a new motor in Sandy.

Comment

Ron,

The linked work, that's a nicer unit than I'd seen before. There are a few of the Jeep guys looking to go to Redbird on September 25-26. the official club trip is October the 10'th, but I should be in MI that weekend, so I'm looking to go the 9/25-26.

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

Comment

Lisle tools used to be carried at all the auto parts stores out here, but they have been replaced by chinese crap.
          Most of Lisle tools are still made in the USA, so support them whenever you can!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
            This one is the hot ticket as far as I'm concerned. Hope this link works http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=559 . It works so smooth with just one push.
            Sears carries that one, it's not horribly expensive (around $30 if I remember correctly), and much better than the grease gun one.

My Mechanic Uncle used to have the nicest one I'd ever seen. It was a metal can with a metal "funnel" at the top. Inside the can was a plate with a big machine screw in the middle. You could pack the can with a lot of grease, then put the cone on. The bearing went into the cone over the machine screw and a large wing-type nut screwed down onto the bearing pulling the grease up into the bearing.

When he closed his garage it disappeared, and I've never seen another one like it, but the one you linked is a close second, I love mine.

Comment

WOW, I picked up that very Bearing Packer today at Advance (since NAPA didn't have it in stock) and man what a tool! That was so much easier and better than the ball of grease in the palm of my hand. It fits bearing up to 3.5" which is what the inner hub bearing is. Thanks Ron.

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

Comment

I told you it was way to slick to use. There is no good way to tell with the old palm method if you are really getting all the grease in like this tool does. Glad you liked it as much as I did. We're all in this together so just trying to help out a brother. The end of Sept is looking good for Redbird but haven't confirmed just yet. Franky is looking much better again.

Comment

Ron,

Yea that tool great, now if they only made one that filled the knuckle on the axles I might not go through as many gloves, rags and cleaner, Ha Ha. Yea, it's a good feeling to have the truck back together. Will mount the cooler and install the new Pump oi hope tomorrow and then it's back to the PW.

Help always appreciated,
                  Will

Thanks,
                  Will
                  WAWII.com

Comment