Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips to make floor pan dimple for Sweptlines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips to make floor pan dimple for Sweptlines?

I figured I'd see if anyone has found a tool instead of just beating the sheet metal to death....

Thanks!

Are you talking to place a "bead" into the sheetmetal to make it stiffer?

Or something else?

Pieter

Comment

Well, I was hoping to make the "dipped" area where the cab mount bolts through.....

Comment

I'm not familiar with the floor you are trying to repair since I do the 57-60 PG's but I'm sure it's similar. If you are fabricating your own floor and have not welded the piece in place try this. Put the sheet metal over a piece of pipe the diameter you want the outside area to become. While someone holds the piece take a smaller diameter pipe and hit it on top of the pipe below. This should make a "die" that will form the depressed area you are looking for. On the last PG we did I formed the pocket with a separate piece of sheet metal and welded it as I hammer formed it into shape. Without a die formed floor patch it's a matter of getting close to the shape you're after.

Comment

Thats a great idea! It will be months before I get to this, but I will indeed report back.

Comment

We do what we can LOL Hope you folks get uncovered from your recent weather experience. Please let me know how that works out for you. There were reproduction floor pans being made a while back but I don't know that they are still being made. Try Vintage Power Wagons in Iowa to see if they still have them. The only thing is I believe they were made off shore.

Comment

Thanks, yeah, we got walloped by almost 4' of snow.

I saw repro pans there for 300's which should work. I just can't justify spending $290 if I only really need just the mount area......

I have a 68 D100, but I am a big fan of the W's

Comment

Wally,
                Welcome to another Marylander. There are getting to be quite a few of us on Joes and this forum. I live in St. Mary's County.
                I made a channel or corrugation in my flatfenders replacement floor section by doing something very similar to what Ron said.
                I took a piece of 6X6 treated post, 18" long. I then carefully gouged out a channel in this with a small chain saw. I then laid the panel (14 gauge in a flatfender) over this area and laid a piece of pipe down directly over the channel and hit it hard with a hand sledge after heating it. Here are some pictures.
                Attached Files

Comment

one more picture

this shows it welded in.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hey that looks pretty sweet! I will definitely be trying some things.

Yeah, I've been hanging for years on Scotts Sweptline.org and Norms DTA site, I've lurked here a little but didn't join until the other day.

I didn't see an area for introducing Newbies nor can I post pics until I get a Subscription.

Glad to see more Marylanders!! Not a huge Dodge truck following here in the Baltimore area.

Comment

Working...
                    X