Buying American tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying American tools

I do my own bodywork as some of you know. Starting out I bought the offshore airtools because of my low tool budget at the time years ago. They did the job for awhile with fairly good results. My first straight line air file was a Rodac and it served my needs for some time. It gave it up one day so I bought a Taiwan tool to replace it. This tool lasted maybe 8 hours total run time. So I went surfing the net to buy a new air file. My first thought was National Detroit due the fine service I got on the repair of my 8" ND sander. I called three different tool supply houses today and got one price back for an ND tool. And they said it would be a couple of days to get one. Nope I need one TODAY. So I called another bodyshop supply house and told Tom the owner what I wanted. He hooked me up with a Viking tool made right here in Indianapolis, IN for $239. He told me I'd never need another one. I got home, screwed in a fitting and slapped on a piece of 80 grit. You know that difference between the cheap waxy chocolate candy and the REAL good stuff that melts in your mouth? That's what I felt with this tool, smoooth. So I paid more than a cheap offshore piece of crap but the price difference is far outweighed by the performance of the tool. BUY American.

Ron,

It is so true what you said. A friend of mine years ago told me to stay away from import air tools. "They gobble a lot of air and break" he said. If you compare the CFM requirements for the cheap tools versus the good quality US tools, the cheap tools use more air. This means they are not as efficient and cost more to operate. You get what you pay for.

Joe

Comment

I worked the new sander today on a door and it saved me so much work it's unbelievable. It didn't work me to death either so I'm very happy with this new Viking sander. I pulled out the other one and side by side they look like the same tool. But the American made tool is heavier then the import which means it gets down to business. I can't say how much less air it eats up compared to the import but I'm sure it's less.

Comment

Buy the same cheap import several times, or an American made tool once...= )

Comment

Buying USA made hand tools doesn't really present a problem. Try to buy a decent power tool though,,,,,not so easy. A good drill or power saw will be tougher. Don't get me wrong because I know they are there, I own some. I have been making an effort at looking for a table saw. Because of storage space I would love to get a portable folding unit. I am not building bookcases, just some trim work and small stuff in the house. My efforts have resulted in frustration because even the "name brand" units are not made in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
            Buying USA made hand tools doesn't really present a problem. Try to buy a decent power tool though,,,,,not so easy. A good drill or power saw will be tougher. Don't get me wrong because I know they are there, I own some. I have been making an effort at looking for a table saw. Because of storage space I would love to get a portable folding unit. I am not building bookcases, just some trim work and small stuff in the house. My efforts have resulted in frustration because even the "name brand" units are not made in the US.
            I think if you look, you will find there are quite a few nice, old, used saws out there that are great quality and attractive prices.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I agree with Gordon, take a look at Craigslist for one to find a saw. The older ones won't fold up or be as portable as a newer saw but it'll last longer. It is tough to find American made power tools anymore, even Porter Cable is made off shore since they got bought up by DeWalt. Glad I got one of the last Tiger Saws made here. I don't know what I'll do when it dies. Hope you find something that will work for you.

Comment

Even some of the used stuff is still foreign made. DeWalt is owned by Black and Decker. I was looking at a Jet brand saw and it is made in china. I wont buy Crapsman power tools as most are chinese. I do need a folding unit though as my new living condition does not provide much storage.

Comment

A good business opportunity may be found in this. Buying and selling US made tools and equipment, along with refurbishing and repairing them. This could include power tools, wood working equipment, machine tools, good quality hand tools, and specialty automotive service tools. In some of those categories you could go back as far as the 1940's with regard to date of manufacture.

Comment

I have a Rockwell folding saw, can't remember the name and need to dust if off to see if it is made here or overseas.
                    I'll look at it tomorrow as it's in my shop, miles away.
                    Shipping would probably cost twice the amount of the saw however.

Comment

Speaking of inferior Chinese cr@p tools, a friend of mine had a scare when he was using a Harbor Freight cut off wheel on a die grinder. The wheel shattered and slivers cut his face up pretty bad. He was able to get stiched up and had goggles on so did not lose an eye, luckily.

Although I admit I have a few Chinese tools, I try and NEVER cut corners on risky things like cut off wheels. Lately, I have been looking at Craigslist and Ebay for older, American made tools of high quality in nice shape.

I got a good condition Snap-On air chisel for example for a fraction of what it would be new. I bought an older Sears vertical drill press (made by King Seeley) for $100. Very nice and heavy/solid. Was a local Craigslist so no shipping. Now I am looking for an older Sears (Dunlap) metal lathe in this area. I am trying to avoid Chinese new stuff if at all possible.

BTW, as a sign of the Apocalypse, I heard that the Vice-Grips pliers were going to be made in China now. The original inventor was a Nebraska blacksmith who created it in the 1920's, who's family owned the company for decades, but then sold out to the Irvin group, who rumor says is going to now have them made overseas now.

Comment

Dave, sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he heals well. To late on the Vice grips going overseas. I bought a new pair and they are now made there. The quality of the tool is far less than the American made. Fit and finish looks like the Harbor Freight knockoffs. So add Vice Grips to your craigslist watch list. Irwin USED to be a company of quality but they sold out to the Walmart way of doing business.

Comment

That is some scary stuff about the Chinese cutoff wheel. I fear it can apply to any grinding wheel of whatever size from that source. Exploding wheels can kill people.

Google chinese sheetrock problems.

Comment

Onshoring

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                              Dave, sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he heals well. To late on the Vice grips going overseas. I bought a new pair and they are now made there. The quality of the tool is far less than the American made. Fit and finish looks like the Harbor Freight knockoffs. So add Vice Grips to your craigslist watch list. Irwin USED to be a company of quality but they sold out to the Walmart way of doing business.
                              Check the label. Some are imported, most are still made here.
                              Same with Redwings and Carhartt's, many are now imported.
                              Drop them ALL an email and say "Hey, what are you thinking?"
                              Let them know that the only reason you bought their products was because it was Made in The USA.

Comment

Working...
                              X