Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And for my next trick...

...I'd like to buy a plasma cutter.

I've been satisfied with my Lincoln Electric wire welder in the past, it's a great machine. I see Miller and Lincoln along with many other companies make plasma cutters too. I'm trying to find one used on Craigslist instead of buying a new one.

What do I need to know about these things? What brand is the best? Is there an advantage of having the unit that cuts 3/8" plate instead of 1/4" plate when all i need it to do is cut 14 guage body panels?

Thoughts? Any input is appreciated.

Miller equipment is tough to beat. The size you need should be based on the heaviest material you plan to use it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
      Miller equipment is tough to beat. The size you need should be based on the heaviest material you plan to use it on.
      Thanks for the input. I know Miller is good stuff too. I doubt I'll ever have to cut anything over 1/4", only 14-16 gauge stuff for the M37.

I still need to call you about my engine. I haven't forgotten about it.

Comment

I have a Hypertherm 1000 (which I think was replace by the Hypertherm 65 recently) , and I could not be happier with it. I recently purchased a step van and reduced it to scrap with just two tips. It cut through everything the stepvan had to offer like butter.

Consumables are an important consideration with these. Some of the "off" brands may not have great tip availability or life. I also do some gouging with mine, so if you plan on this, make sure you can get gouging tips.

As Charles said, get a unit that is sized for the maximum thickness you plan on working with.

Comment

Working...
        X