Body Work ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Work ?

I am not sure about how to go about this, I want to make a patch panel for my windshield, it's the drivers side, where the tubing for the vacuum wiper motor travels out of the pivot bolt and into the frame.

I had planned on welding in a small patch, but got the idea I might be able to make it from fiber glass? Then I got to wondering about how to attach it to the frame itself?

I meant to do this with a pic or two, but neglected to take them today, as I had some tree removal to deal w/when I got home.
    I will post them tomorrow.

Rotten Pictures

Lets see if this helps, there's a threaded hole on the bottom as well as another on the face of the upright flat of the pilar.
    Attached Files

Comment

More Rot

Here's another one, I used a piece of paper for contrast, anybody, Ron, whare are you when I need you? lol
      Attached Files

Comment

Bruce I'm right here. As I don't speak fluent M 37 I'll have to wing it. I would say you have two options, 1 get a different windshield frame. 2 fab and weld a patch to replace which in involve cutting out the old to get to a weldable section that won't burn through. Fiberglass is not an option as I see it. It would be a bit of a job but it looks like it could be rebuilt. A different frame looks more appealing.

Comment

Well I had a T/O windshield, and all of the intentions of going that way, but someone else needed it more than I did, (he had none) so I sold a while back.

I guess I was wanting another opinion? I think if I'm careful & take my time, do it in stages & I'll be alright?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
            I am not sure about how to go about this, I want to make a patch panel for my windshield, it's the drivers side, where the tubing for the vacuum wiper motor travels out of the pivot bolt and into the frame.

I had planned on welding in a small patch, but got the idea I might be able to make it from fiber glass? Then I got to wondering about how to attach it to the frame itself?

I meant to do this with a pic or two, but neglected to take them today, as I had some tree removal to deal w/when I got home.
            I will post them tomorrow.
            Bruce, I agree with Ron, get a different frame. It looks to me that your frame is too far gone to repair, although it would be possible to repair if you really wanted to test your skills. I would save the wear and tear on myself and find a better piece.

Frank

Comment

Whoa

I don't think I can put my mit's on another decent frame, but who knows?
              I might try and fab an entire outer frame cover, it would also make applying the nuts or tapping the threads easier?
              I have made the bottom rotted piece already, however I ain't in love wid it?
              Thanks For Your Input Fellas!

Comment

It won't cost anything to ask around. VPW or Midwest Military should have one I'd think. With the multitude of 37's out there and all the parts it shouldn't be that hard to find. This will not be an easy repair from the looks of it, just saying.

Comment

Well I did it I removed the drivers side windscreen, ground the 6 or so outside welds I popped the interior welds (they were easier than I thought they would be?) another 6 or so. I have made a card board template & gettin ready to use the brake at work, along with some professional supervision from a pro that does it all the time at school.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Rusty Stuff

Few more
                    Attached Files

Comment

More Rust

OK, Any advice?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Way to go Bruce! Where there is a will there is a way!

Frank

Comment

I'm afraid I have no advice for you. I wimped out on mine and bought a take off from John at Midwest Military. Mine was so far gone that it would have probably been rejected at the scrap yard.

I'm anxious to see your finished product.

Comment

Hah-hah, I'm a little anxious too!
                            Thanks for the encouragement , Frank, Wes, it'll help. After some clean up & some rust abatement, the project will commence.
                            CRoss Your Fingers,

Comment

i have kinda gave up with welding that real thin stuff and have been brazeing it with good results. maybe you could braze patches to the inside then use lead or putty to make it all smoothe from the outside before paint. Just an idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X