looking for information on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for information on

how to design and the construction of a drive line for what I plan will be a remote engine powered snow blower mounted at the front of my M-37.

any ideas, experience, and or leads are requested and appreciated.. I want to take the 3 PT hitch snow blower mounted on the tractor and put it where it belongs.

Hydraulics not being the ideal due to the losses of efficiency, yet I realize they seem to be more and more common now due to the easy of set up, believing I would prefer to set up a drive shaft type

there was one for sale here in the local classifieds that looked pretty beat, it was a 6' 3 point hitch one converted to front mount. It was being powered by an old 16hp kohler. believe that is a k341? Don't know how well it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Mills View Post
      how to design and the construction of a drive line for what I plan will be a remote engine powered snow blower mounted at the front of my M-37.

any ideas, experience, and or leads are requested and appreciated.. I want to take the 3 PT hitch snow blower mounted on the tractor and put it where it belongs.

Hydraulics not being the ideal due to the losses of efficiency, yet I realize they seem to be more and more common now due to the easy of set up, believing I would prefer to set up a drive shaft type
      You will want to consider auxiliary suspension assist if you are thinking of hanging any kind of weight off the front of your truck. Be thinking along the lines of how the Good Roads plow system carries its weight. I'm sure Clint Dixon would be of great help in this project.

C.D.
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

I received an article about a Dodger's project. He mounted a snow blower on the front of an M37. It is driven by an engine in the bed. Look for this article in the future.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

why not just powered by the pto? in low range 1st gear the truck is like a snail, I would think it would be perfect for blowing? But I guess it would be like a tractor without a live power take off.

Comment

Most of the light truck-mounted units sold today use a 20-25 Hp auxilary engine- that is right around the max PTO output (~30 Hp) of the PW/M37. Snowblowing is a lot slower and more expensive in time and fuel than plowing- but you don't get hemmed in by plowbanks in late winter.

You will need to consider how your blower will move to follow terrain- that's one reason why a pony engine or hydraulic drive is popular. A CV joint can take greater shaft angles than a universal joint, but you should bring the PTO drive into the blower as close to the blower pivot point as possible to avoid big changes in angles as it moves over the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by maineSS View Post
              Snowblowing is a lot slower and more expensive in time and fuel than plowing- but you don't get hemmed in by plowbanks in late winter.

You will need to consider how your blower will move to follow terrain- that's one reason why a pony engine or hydraulic drive is popular. A CV joint can take greater shaft angles than a universal joint, but you should bring the PTO drive into the blower as close to the blower pivot point as possible to avoid big changes in angles as it moves over the ground.
              It is just that: late winter is a bear, as I need a front end loader or grader to keep the road open..

I like the idea that a drive shaft is more efficient than the hydraulic style of power transmission.. at this moment I remain unsure as to the best way to achieve the 3" drop from the truck bed, to the drive line level, that will transmit the power to the forward half of the truck.. Not looking to run a PTO off the transmission, as that does not give the blower the power it may require at a slow ground speed.

this winter it will be a tractor driven snow blower, hopeful that next winter will have more options. (and there is a snow plow in the fleet, as that is how I have muddled on through so far)

Comment

Working...
              X