A good simple come-a-long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good simple come-a-long

In my nearly five decades of life I've never owned a new or even good come-a-long. I've picked them up used at auctions, flea markets etc.

They've all had issues and none were easy or even safe (or smart) to operate. Its a wonder I still have all my fingers, toes and even possibly my life.

My mother-in-law gave me $100 for Christmas and said to go get me a good one. My question is what brand is a good one? I mainly use them to winch loads (rolling) onto a trailer, stretch fence, hoist small loads (trailer racks etc). Nothing huge.

What do you folks recommend?
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

I have a 4 ton American Power Pull. Box says it's made here, but I know they have smaller come alongs that are imported. It works fine for me. Winched a few trucks and a log or two with it.

Maasdam is supposed to be a good brand made here, too.

Comment

The Maasdam wa one I had found that seemed high quality. Sears sold it anyway...

I'll look at American Power Pull too, thanks.
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Seems like years ago I saw (in a 4x4 magazine) a come-a-long type device that used a chain instead of cable. It coukd be used vertically or horizontally of course, as hoist or winch. It may have even had two handle slots, one for each direction. I dont recall much about it, just remember thinking at the time "That should replace all come-a-longs".

Off-roaders would be aware of the best devices for manual hand winching.

Bucky

Comment

Budgit Hoist used to offer some. I can't see now that they still do. The chain versions are better than cable, I think, although sometimes less convenient to work with.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

And Budgit is a misnomer, they have some serious stuff there huh?

I have an old chain hoist that I bought because it seemed heavy duty. I had to tinker with it some to get it back to working condition. Its a little cumbersome to use. The handle is reversable but the release paw had to be welded. I'll look up the name of it.
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Here's one on Amazon which would put you out $25 from your pocket after the $100 gift:

http://www.amazon.com/Lever-Block-Ch...5390700&sr=8-2

We use Little Mule and other brands at the steel mill but they're pricey.

I never cared for cable ratchet come-alongs as it's too easy to damage the cable. That said, I don't work out on a ranch and cable come-alongs are field-repairable.

Comment

Have you used this brand? Similar to my chain one except my chain is like heavy duty bicycle chain.
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I have a couple old ones made by I think Yale.Ratcheting Roller chain with about a two foot aluminum handle with the directional flip switch on the end.Got to be at least fifty years old.Only thing I'll even call a come-a-long,nothing else I've ever used in any other configuration works as well.

Comment

Ross, can you post a pic of it?

Comment

Working...
                    X