X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old tools and history

If you are interested in old tools, you will find this interesting:

http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/index.html
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

I was looking in one of my tool cabinets and came across a marvelous, old pair of compound leverage snap ring pliers.

They are marked 8059-KMO-USA.

I did a web search and discovered it was and is a Kent Moore tool, and still available for $79. They are really great snap ring pliers, and work much better than conventional pliers. I have had these since the early 1970's.
    Attached Files

Comment

Marvel hacksaw, Frame No. 12

This is a beautiful thing. Imagine what it would cost today.

The longer of the two handles is rotated 180 degrees from where it would be in normal use. This is the Power Wagon of hacksaws.
      Attached Files

Comment

As always I read another great story in the latest issue of the PWA. We all have those special tools that take us back to memories of jobs and people we've encountered. I have inherited my Dad's tool set which are mainly Snap-on in a Snap-on tool box. Included with these tools is a 3/4" drive ratchet set in a separate original box. When ever this set was called into work you knew it was getting serious. This set is well over 50 years old but it performs like the day it was made. I've never checked to see what a set like this would cost today from Snap-on but I know it would be costly. I've thought of repainting the box but that would change the patina it's acquired from years of service. A favorite tool of mine is a Snap-on body hammer. It's a low crown cross pein with a wooden handle that's older than I'd care to guess. It has the best balance of any body hammer I have and just feels right in my hand. Good tools do not make a great mechanic, that's experience. But having good tools makes a mechanic's life a lot easier. Always try to buy the best tools you can afford, someday someone will thank you for buying them. Thanks Dad.

Comment

Here is a neat one I found (hopefully pics will work). It was made by H&R Boker and says "Cast Steel" on it. Notice the top is made as one piece. the outer rim is only .022 thick. There was a time when companies took pride in their pieces and I would say this was one of them. Kevin
          Attached Files

Comment

That is beautifully done.

Comment

Working...
            X