Jack Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Failure

My jack failed this morning, while I was lifting my truck. I have stands, so I wouldn't have been under it, but it was an eye opener. Never had one fail like that. I had to move the truck, so I wasn't laying in the oil. I think it's obvious a seal failed, but having never opened one up, what should I be looking for? Assuming it's serviceable.
    It's a Craftsman 3 ton, about 15 years old.

Do you have a hydraulic repair company near you?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Unless a hydraulic repair place (like Gordon mentioned) is nearby, may be less hassle & cheaper to replace the jack.

I have only seen hydraulic rams in hoists fail, & then it wouldn't lift the load in the first place. Same for floor jacks.

Bumper jacks were a whole different nightmare.

Were you working on the crew cab? glad you used jackstands & weren't under it or in danger.

Bucky

Comment

I had a 2.5 ton craftsman jack fail about 6 years ago. The 0-ring on the fill screw went bad and I had hydraulic fluid squirting out and the jack came down fairly slow. I had jacked up the driver's side front on an E-350 service van. I got a new o-ring and replaced it but it never seemed like it was the same as before.
        1949 B-1 PW
        1950 B-2 PW
        1965 WM300
        1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
        1970 Challenger RT 383
        1987 Ramcharger 4x4
        1991.5 W250 diesel
        1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
        2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
          Unless a hydraulic repair place (like Gordon mentioned) is nearby, may be less hassle & cheaper to replace the jack.

I have only seen hydraulic rams in hoists fail, & then it wouldn't lift the load in the first place. Same for floor jacks.

Bumper jacks were a whole different nightmare.

Were you working on the crew cab? glad you used jackstands & weren't under it or in danger.

Bucky
          Thanks!
          It wasn't the crew cab, it was the diesel. I hadn't been under it yet, either. I was still putting the wheel up when it happened. At first I thought I had somehow hit the bleed screw; it came down so fast. No loud noise, either. Just that sick sounding hiss.
          I am glad there have been so many warnings posted on this forum and at Joe's, too, about this sort of thing. I have been tempted at times to reach or crawl under a truck unprotected, but always checked myself with 'what would the guys think if something dumb happens'. Well...
          On a better note, I got the tranny thing on the diesel worked out, and with the garage empty, the power steering swap on the crew cab is next.

Comment

Working...
          X